No announcement yet.

School Me on Pontoon Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 28.5ft with an inboard 350 sitting on Conroe that could be had. low hours. Mostly great shape. Mechanically perfect. will run 42mph on smooth lake. Was $86k in 2009. $30k takes it but no trailer at the moment.

blue book is $39k. Don't need money so wont budge on price.
    Last edited by Tom; 06-04-2021, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      Well fellas I might get an earful for getting too small. Found a great deal on a 20’ with a 90hp Yamaha on it. If we end up hating it or wanting more boat I am in it right to turn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Haha! About like my wife...ask for opinions and then totally ignore them!

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
        Haha! About like my wife...ask for opinions and then totally ignore them!

Good luck and have fun!

Haha!! Y’all’s opinions are EXPENSIVE!

Comment

Haha!! Y’all’s opinions are EXPENSIVE!

You ain't lying bud, congrats on the new barge, the kids will love it man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Get something with lifting strakes so it can plane out, the longer the better but 24' is a good start. My old 24' barge I built was just round tubes with a 115 Etec and it plowed water enough that if there's a crosswind we'd get wet. That's at the coast or windy lakes. With lifting strakes and up on plane that stops the plowing splash. Aside from that it was easy to operate and very stable and secure.

Edit: Whelp I'm too late. Congrats on the nee rig!

Comment

I’ve found a deal on one that’s a 20’ G3 with 90hp Yamaha and he’s telling me it runs 30 light and 25 loaded all day. Maybe due to different setup?
              Maybe if it is a tritoon with lifting strakes, but if is a pontoon, I don't think he is getting to 30 MPH. My 24 foot tritoon with a VMAX SHO 175 HP tops out at 38 mph loaded down. He might just be trying to make a sale to you.

Well, looks like you bought the 90 HP. I think you are going to be disappointed. Good luck.
              Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 06-04-2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Congrats! Glad you got into a boat for the summer. Worst case scenario sounds like you can turn it around pretty easy and know first hand what you want to look for in the next one! Bet y’all have a blast in it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                  You ain't lying bud, congrats on the new barge, the kids will love it man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Tony!

Comment

Originally posted by BigCountry101 View Post
                    Congrats! Glad you got into a boat for the summer. Worst case scenario sounds like you can turn it around pretty easy and know first hand what you want to look for in the next one! Bet y’all have a blast in it.

Thank you sir!

Comment

Well fellas I might get an earful for getting too small. Found a great deal on a 20’ with a 90hp Yamaha on it. If we end up hating it or wanting more boat I am in it right to turn it.

Congrats! Let us know how the maiden voyage goes! Those new yamas are silky smooth and quiet!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a 20' with a 60HP Merc and it's excellent for our use. Fishing and Floating 99.9% of the time. It's also kinda beat up which I actually like. Our last two boats were so nice I never wanted to use them.

You'll love that one!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          Congrats! Let us know how the maiden voyage goes! Those new yamas are silky smooth and quiet!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
                          It did great it pushed 3 adults, 2 kids, and a cooler 29-30 mph great!

Comment

Just bought a used one myself. 2013 21 footer with a 90 Merc 4 stroke 60 hours. Lucky I found this one, good ones are hard to come by and they're fetching top dollar!

Mine doesn't have a speed odometer Just a tak, but my dad was next to me saying I was going 28 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              Just bought a used one myself. 2013 21 footer with a 90 Merc 4 stroke 60 hours. Lucky I found this one, good ones are hard to come by and they're fetching top dollar!

Mine doesn't have a speed odometer Just a tak, but my dad was next to me saying I was going 28 or so.

I looked for a month, good ones were either stupidly over priced or gone in 5 minutes. I found this one minutes after posting. While I was there buying it he probably had 10 calls including a text from a guy saying he would pay $2k over asking price.

Comment

I looked for a month, good ones were either stupidly over priced or gone in 5 minutes. I found this one minutes after posting. While I was there buying it he probably had 10 calls including a text from a guy saying he would pay $2k over asking price.

Funny you say that. I was actually driving to look at a brand new one, was going by Lake Conroe and this baby was sitting on the side of the road.

Apparently only out there for a day. Surprised it wasn't gone already as it was super clean with low hours. And the price was actually reasonable... well in boat terms

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X