Getting a white tail to 5 yoa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a white tail to 5 yoa

It seems that every lease that I am on, the ol lets take the 10 points at 4.5 yoa vs 5.5 yoa is a point of contention.

I prefer to let them walk to 5.5 yoa. Most of the guys I hunt with seem to not be able to age bucks and want to shoot them at 4.5 yoa.

This year, our lease in Llano have a couple of 10s that are legit mid 40s and are 4.5 yoa. Our lease manager sends a group text asking/suggesting that we let these bucks walk this year. He got crickets back from the group!

I think some of it is that they can’t age bucks and are intimidated or they don’t agree! I will let them walk if the group agrees and holds to that philosophy but if not, I am not there to grow deer for my fellow hunters!

It’s low fence and free ranging!

Thoughts?

I think it matters what the lease rules are.

Comment

Most people can't tell the difference in a 4 year old from a 5 year old. . . .

Comment

The only way that managing the herd will work is if all members are on board. If the lease manager wants to let them walk and potentially grow another year then he should be within his rights as "manager" to put a no kill rule on the deer. If other members have an issue with that I'm certain it won't be hard to fill their spots with truly management minded hunters.

Comment

If he can send out pictures of the specific deer, no one has to worry about aging them.

Comment

Isn’t low fence free ranging? If so then why say low fence ? :-)

Sounds like there needs to be a meeting for the goals. If everyone or the majority of us in agreement then there needs to be something put in place that would place them in time out for a trophy for a year if they shoot an immature Buck.

Comment

I don’t hunt on a lease. That being said it seems like it would be the lease managers decision but it would be a lot better to announce new rules at the end of a season for the upcoming rather than 2 weeks before a new season. Probably more digestible for your fellow hunters.

Comment

I’d ask the lease manager to record a vote. Majority wins. Let bucks walk another year to 5, or shoot the 4 yr olds. Photos of the deer in question at camp for all to see is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                  If he can send out pictures of the specific deer, no one has to worry about aging them.
                  Agree with this. If pictures are posted of deer on the "Do not Kill list" and some on the "Kill List". Then there is not need to have to worry about aging. If someone shoot a deer on the "Do not kill list", then there needs to be written consequences for all lease members to go by.

Comment

Most people can't do it!!! 5.5 is where good things happen

hell, most people will shoot 3.5 year olds

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                      Isn’t low fence free ranging? If so then why say low fence ? :-)

Sounds like there needs to be a meeting for the goals. If everyone or the majority of us in agreement then there needs to be something put in place that would place them in time out for a trophy for a year if they shoot an immature Buck.
                      For those who can’t tell a 4 yo from a 5 yo whitetail buck!

Comment

sounds like a cluster...if they cant age deer someone is going to see a deer and shoot it and then claim they didnt think it was the same deer even thought they knew and then its gonna hit the fan

Comment

Depends on what the rules were when folks paid their money.
                          Not everyone is looking for a trophy. Most just want to get away from home, relax and bring some meat home.

Comment

This is a pic of one of the buck!

I feel like he needs one more year but it is the Hill Country and I could be wrong!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ranch managers usually get the final say around here. They might make it through deer season. How big is the property? How big are the neighboring properties? How many hunting around you? All plays in to how it plays out. They won’t get any older if you kill them, but neighbors for miles around have to be on the same page. 50/50 odds they make it through. There’s a record amount of hunters in llano last two years.

Comment

Working...
                              X