The Trades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    Certainly, for someone that wants to be an educator, doctor, lawyer, CPA, engineer or any other of the many licensed professions, a college degree is pertinent. For those car salesmen with horticulture degrees or waiters with political science degrees.....well, they probably wasted money and years.
    Yes Sir! Some folks go to College for the bestest most funnest 6-7 years of their lives !

My oldest knew she was gonna be an educator. She wanted to go to Lubbock Christian for some reason. I told her you can get a education degree at a much less expensive school. She went to LCU. We were gonna make it happen where ever.
    I guess we were enablers!
    The youngest went the JC route for hers.
    Crazy how different even your own kids are.

I feel for you business owners hiring people these days. It looks like it would be a never ending process.

Comment

As a father of girls, I hope they marry someone with that kind of common sense. A fancy degree don’t fix stuff around the house.

Comment

Excellent post. Hope more parents start giving this type advice to their kids. Unfortunately, too many peeps believe you can't earn a good living by working hard in a trade type career. I believe the whole "you must have a college degree" thing was turned into a money making scam that a lot of peeps fell/fall for.

I graduated in 89 and went to TSTI in Waco. I earned an associates degree in electronics and worked in that field for ten years. I made a decent living and could have easily made a lot more had I started my own business once I had truely learned my field of work.

In 92 after my mother passed away, I made a lot of bad decisions/life choises. While I wasn't an alcoholic I used /abused it for years. At 30, I went into law enforcement and I believe that the Lord was looking out for me when he blessed me by opening that door. I truely believe that saved my life.

Today, after 20 years in law enforcement, ironically building remote communication sites ( land mobile radio repeater sites ) I can retire and go back into the electronics field. I could probably start at or close to six figures. Only thing keeping me in as an LEO is the brotherhood and that I feel I can make a difference versus just collecting a pay check. Unfortunately, my detail to the Tech OPS unit has recently ended and I will probably pull the plug on the LEO career for obvious reasons.

Interestingly, that Associates Degree could be my ticket to step right back into a job paying 6 figures. For, those with kids that are in high school, as has already been mentioned don't forget to point out the trades that are available out there.

Comment

My father always tried to push me to go into a trade. I never listened and ended up going to a University to find out I absolutely hated it and ended up working for a grocery company and doing well for myself. Recently I have been looking into trades and looking to jump ship and go do something I would enjoy doing rather than being inside all day. If only I had listened when I was younger I would have probably been in a lot less debt and doing something I truly liked.

I forgot to mention my father was a electrician, so growing up I would always go work with him during the summer. I guess that is what pushed me away from trades when I was younger, now that I'm older I regret not taking the opportunity to run with that.
          Last edited by BenjiBarr; 09-11-2021, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I tell my kids 13 and 14 that they are not going to be required to go to college and they they should not be afraid to talk to the wife and myself about other options. I’m a fireman and work 10 days a month with some OT and make 6 figures and make another 8-12k a year on my days off. I will absolutely guide them towards business ownership and or the trades

Comment

I have had this conversation with my kids as well. Sons and daughters. The trades is where it’s at. It’s what makes the world turn. I have told them college is not something they have to to do but if school is what they want look into a trade. The jobs will always be there and they can work there way into owning there own business one day. Being there own boss.

Spend less on an education and make the same if not more once your out with less debt if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

100 percent

Comment

Following. I'm looking for a career change at almost 48. 8 years in a warehouse - no money or satisfaction in it. Something in the trades - electrician/carpentry/welding would be nice. I like building stuff and making stuff. Is it too late?

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                    Following. I'm looking for a career change at almost 48. 8 years in a warehouse - no money or satisfaction in it. Something in the trades - electrician/carpentry/welding would be nice. I like building stuff and making stuff. Is it too late?

Never too late…. My advice to you would be to narrow it down to what you want to do and go for it. Obviously, keep in mind that you might have to move to an area that might have openings in the field you choose.

Comment

Working...
                    X