Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you S Texas guys ever see an ocelot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you S Texas guys ever see an ocelot?

A trailcam pic was posted on the U.S. Parks and Wildlife facebook page of an ocelot going under a highway overpass. They said it was in Texas but didn't give the location - I am assuming way south somewhere. They think there are only about 50 left in the U.S. Any of you guys down that way ever catch one on camera?

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Seen a few where that pic was taken on Hwy 48 between Port Isabel and Brownsville.
    Have seen 2 in Starr County, one in Falcon State Park

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

95% of their habitat has been lost? I don't believe that...

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
        I do.
        Not sure how it would be possible for it not to be true.
        Unless you count agriculture land and suburbia as habitat.

Comment

Crazy. Im curious as well how many of yall have seen any...

Comment

Saw one yrs ago in Zavala county

Comment

Would be cool to see one

And more believable than a black panther

Comment

one was ran over in Palo Pinto county a few years back.
                Very rare.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  Apparently they have a very specific type of habitat they prefer.

Comment

We've had sightings of both the Oce & jag over the years in starr...I think there are way more than assumed, just super elusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                      Apparently they have a very specific type of habitat they prefer.

Drainage ditches apparently! [emoji23]

No doubt their numbers are down and habitat is gone from farming, but as remote as deep south Texas is with the king and Kennedy ranches (among others), it’s hard to believe only 5% is left.

Comment

Ocelot, Ocelot where have you gone?

Comment

We had a documented breeding pair on the Moody Ranch South of Del Rio many years ago... I saw them once, but never got a pic or trail camera pic of them... I had a set that was near the river and they crossed the road right in front of me when I was driving a BP drag road back to camp after a morning hunt... The biologist that documented them was the TPWD guy that helped us get our management program going for that ranch... He also shot a bear out of a pecan tree in old downtown Del Rio along San Felipe Creek that ran thru downtown... Tranquilized it and hauled out to Big Bend for the release... Some cool stuff used to go on at that ranch (Lonesome Dove was filmed on the ranch)...

Comment

Our rancher has tales of them And how he used to see them and being a border to the king ranch he doesn’t let us shoot bobcats “just in case” but I would like to see one in person. Side note he doesn’t let us shoot turkeys either because his mom loved them, she’s been dead for years.

Comment

I have seen 2 over the years, really cool sightings.

Comment

Working...
                              X