Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 03-20-2020, 06:15 AM   #1
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas
Default Actual Archery Thread

Iím 125% positive this has been beat to death 20Xís over... Just wanted to divert from another Corona Virus Thread. Dale is over it by now. Strings. When replacing bow strings, just about every shop Iíve been to has their flavor of custom strings. How many of you go that route or use strings from the manufacturer of the bow? Do any of you replace strings with a new bow or use the factory strings till time to replace?
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
Paycheck
Ten Point

I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck View Post
I had a bow restrung with custom strings at Live Oak Archery in Bryan. They are way better than the originals. Got a new Mathew bow a year ago and that string needs to be replace already. Will go back with custom.
Up and till now my previous bows were all upgrades from the other. About the time strings needing replaced. Finally have a bow that I like more than the others and will restring it. Plus replacing is getting expensive. Lol
Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Rat
Ten Point

It depends on the bow company and what you want.

Pretty much across the board I have heard that Winner's Choice has gone down hill since being bought by the same company that owns Elite bows, and that is what Elite uses.

However, I have used Prime strings and they are great if all you want is black.

Hoyt custom shop has great strings, and you can order them in different colors, but the wait time seems to be much longer than other custom string makers.

I have either personally used or installed Gas, Catfish, Korbins, Vapor, 60X, Texas Twisted and few other custom strings and they have all been great.

Having said that, I make my own string most of the time because it is another aspect of archery I enjoy; but I generally do not make string for other people unless I need to in order to help correct a tune on a specific bow.

On my Prime I shot the factory strings until time to replace, then I bought a new set from Catfish and then I made my own for the third set. If I shot a bow from say Elite, I think I would change the strings as soon as I could to a higher quality string, and I definitely would on a Mathews as I am not a fan of their counter rotated bundles.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
Big Lee
Ten Point

Thanks Rat!!! Great info.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #6
rocky
Pope & Young

I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winner’s Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
I have installed hundreds of sets, and shot Winnerís Choice strings for years. I have had zero complaints. I have also installed strings from lots of other manufacturers. Have not seen better performance than WC. I recently installed a set of GAS strings on my personal bow. Good string. I lost 8 fps. I broke my bow down, grabbed my backup twin, and matched specs. Still 8 FPS shy. Not a deal breaker, but I like my 8 fps.
8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%TtId View Post
8 fps loss from a GAS string, wow. What do you think is causing that?
Higher strand count is all I can see that could cause it.
rocky is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top