No announcement yet.

Found Tri Tip at H-E-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got one at Costco a few weeks back. The one they had was seasoned. Did mine in the oven as I was pressed for time. Turned out really good.

Comment

They’re also great with some salsa on them after sliced up.

Comment

I’ve done Tri tip before after a friend in Oregon introduced me to it. I found them at my HEB yesterday, the sell by date was the same day, so I passed

Comment

I grew up in Hawaii and CA, never had brisket till I moved to Texas because everyone there has tri-tip. I trim a little fat off but not much, dry rub and don't cook it past medium

This is the best tri-tip rub there is, small town in central CA. My BIL runs a big feedlot out there and introduced me to this

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
            They’re also great with some salsa on them after sliced up.
            I think I'm gonna re-heat and slice up the leftovers to make some tacos tonight.

Comment

I definitely will not trim as much fat off in the future. Being new to Tri tip I went to YouTube and the video I watched the dude trimmed it all off. Leftovers for dinner tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you guys made me get my last Harris Ranch prime tri-tip out of the freezer for tonight. Tri-tip sandwiches with jalapenos and some home made sweet potato fries on the side

Comment

So can you cook it low and slow like a brisket to an internal temp of 200ish or is this best done on high heat cooked to medium rare? My HEB had quite a few of them in the meat case today so I bought one.

Comment

Ive cooked them hot and low and slow. I prefer the hot and fast method just like you would do a ribeye.

Comment

I love tri-tip! The first batch looks like perfection.

Comment

After I found tri tip at my loca HEB it quickly became one of my favorite cuts. I’ve only done it reverse sear like a big steak, comes out great.

Comment

Originally posted by jjam View Post
                          My favorite way so far is on a pellet grill. Season it with steak seasoning. Run the pellet grill on smoke for 1.5 hours then kick it up to 350 until done usually 45-60 min.

Serve with some some oven roasted red potatoes.

The HEB by me carries them in Waygu. They also sell dry aged steaks which I want to try soon.
                          I'm going to give this a shot later this week.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            So can you cook it low and slow like a brisket to an internal temp of 200ish or is this best done on high heat cooked to medium rare? My HEB had quite a few of them in the meat case today so I bought one.
                            High heat to medium rare. I don’t have a Santa Maria style pit anymore but if you can do it over mesquite it’s delicious.

Dry rub and let it sit for a bit, medium heat 1st side about 6 min, second side about 7-8min, move it indirect for a couple till it hits 135-140. Pull it and let it rest under foil for 10-30min. Slice thin and enjoy. Goes great with cold beer

Forgot to take pics but this was all that was left tonight. A slice from the thinner end since my 3yo likes it more done than we do. We used the fancy China tonight
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by hooligan; 04-12-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised at how few people know about tri tip. I'm also surprised at how this isn't in the recipe section

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Every time I do tri-tip I either go low & slow like a brisket, then sear it at the end; or just the opposite: sear it first, then smoke it like a brisket, checking temp regularly. I find the second option easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X