Big East Texas Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big East Texas Bucks

With all the big bucks showing up on the GS I'd really like to know from a scientific perspective how many are carrying South Texas genetics.
    Best i can remember quite a few areas were recipients of S.T. deer a few decades ago.
    If anyone has anything interesting on this, share with us.

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
    With all the big bucks showing up on the GS I'd really like to know from a scientific perspective how many are carrying South Texas genetics.
    Best i can remember quite a few areas were recipients of S.T. deer a few decades ago.
    If anyone has anything interesting on this, share with us.
    Those are bought and paid for bucks. I’d bet the large majority of the bucks you’re seeing are killed on high fenced ranches. I grew up in east Texas and big bucks just don’t live long enough to get that big.

Comment

I married into an East Tx family who have some land. In the 19 years I have know them the bucks keep getting bigger and bigger. Big meaning from the early days of 110 to last year my brother in law shot one approaching 150 and I saw one last year when I decided it would be fun to pistol hunt that was a beautiful typical 12 out of range.

Comment

There are no big bucks in East Texas. Stay west of I-45 if you want big deer

Comment

[There was a 278inch low fence buck killed in Houston co. A few years ago. Already this year a tbher killed a low fence 200 in houston co.

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
            Those are bought and paid for bucks. I’d bet the large majority of the bucks you’re seeing are killed on high fenced ranches. I grew up in east Texas and big bucks just don’t live long enough to get that big.
            You never saw big ones because no one let them get old enough to become big. I’m a guilty party as well from my early years in hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              [There was a 278inch low fence buck killed in Houston co. A few years ago. Already this year a tbher killed a low fence 200 in houston co.

Is there a thread on this years Houston co 200 inch? I must have missed it.

I can definitely say that we are seeing more and more 3.5-4.5 year old deer compared to 3.5 being OLD in Houston and Cherokee county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol

Riiiiiiiiighhttt

Just cause you don't see them doesn't mean they ain't there. Two deer in the 160s killed east of the trinity river this weekend alone that I know about. And that's just in my wee little world.

Both low fence

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Quackerbox; 10-24-2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I grew up in North Harris county and can remember back in the late 60's there were very few deer. The population grew quickly, and by the late 70's we had good numbers of them. I don't know if that was a result of restocking or just better law enforcement. I don't think TPWD released any deer in Harris County, but I do know that a local ranch brought in some deer from Pennsylvania. For quite a few years it was not uncommon for mature bucks in that area to push 250 lbs. live weight.

Here's an article that lists the history of deer restocking in East Texas...

Comment

The hunting club I an on in east Tx had pregnant S Tx does brought in a number of years back. Can’t remember exactly what some of the long time members told me on exactly how long ago. But, the club president at the time who is now a retired game warden told me the same thing.

Comment

Just for the purpose of debunking this myth, let’s set a benchmark, what’s your definition of a big buck.

Comment

well stop shooting them when they are young and you will see bigger bucks.

Comment

East Texas hunting has changed alot in 25ish years I've hunted it. I'm sure on more managed properties there were good hunting back then but not the timber leases I hunted. I hated AR but I believe that combined with everyone using trail cameras and knowing what they could kill if they passed up the 2 year olds and stuck it out have helped tremendously. I can't wait to see what the next 25 years bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Lol

Riiiiiiiiighhttt

Just cause you don't see them doesn't mean they ain't there. Two deer in the 160s killed east of the trinity river this weekend alone that I know about. And that's just in my wee little world.

Both low fence

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            The river and creek bottoms in East Texas have always delivered some big bucks. Trinity River, Neches, Mud Creek, Striker Creek, etc. etc. all have a history of big bucks, maybe not every year, but often enough.

Comment

I hunt in the heart of East Texas. I don’t post hardly any of our buck pics.
                              There’s a reason for that!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X