Real County Sheriff under investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Sendero View Post
    Saw an update today about this. Says that Nathan is being investigated for routinely seizing cash from illegals.
    We call that a work perk.

Comment

It seems he was doing exactly what the Mexican policia do to Americans, taking money for no reason.

Comment

From the Yahoo article:
        During another traffic stop in October, more than $2,700 in cash taken from three immigrants’ wallets was said to be marked as evidence while waiting to see if human smuggling charges against the driver would stick. The other two men were referred to Border Patrol, where they asked what had happened to the money in their wallets.
        So how is this different than when drug smugglers are caught and processed? The drugs and/or cash is seized. Vehicles are seized.

"Undocumented immigrants" are still breaking the law (no matter what title is given to them).

According to the sign posted earlier, they were warned!

I hope this doesn't go any further than just an investigation. I don't know the guy, but I know people that own property in Leakey and have owned for many generations. The Sheriff seems like he's trying his best to do right by the county, but with the influx of "city folk" to the area, that'll make it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
          It seems he was doing exactly what the Mexican policia do to Americans, taking money for no reason.
          Would hope this side of the border would have higher standards.

Comment

If we sneak across the checkpoints with no papers I wouldn't exactly call that "for no reason." Looking at the quote from the article above about the $2700 it would seem that dude was suspected of being a smuggler. Seems like a **** good reason to me.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              If we sneak across the checkpoints with no papers I wouldn't exactly call that "for no reason." Looking at the quote from the article above about the $2700 it would seem that dude was suspected of being a smuggler. Seems like a **** good reason to me.
              So being here illegally give a sheriff the right to take money away from you??? Right???

Comment

So being here illegally give a sheriff the right to take money away from you??? Right???
                Isn’t that normal operating procedure when arrested?

Comment

right!

Comment

Sign might have been more effective written in mexican.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      right!
                      Lol! Fair enough.

Comment

First of all, yes. Second, if you suspect that money is going to a smuggler then especially yes because it's evidence in a pending case. Are you going to advocate we don't cease piles of cash from drug smugglers next?

Comment

the only issue i have is seizing property without a conviction and i think that is where the hang up is.

Comment

I guess I have to ask, did he ever take any money or property from some Mexican Americans that just didn't happen to have their ID on them ? Maybe seized some property from someone he shouldn't have based on profiling ?

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                              the only issue i have is seizing property without a conviction and i think that is where the hang up is.
                              Welcome to the real world. It happens every day to people who aren't illegal aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                                What are they supposed to do with it while going through the criminal justice system? lol... that's how it works, it's seized pending trial/court outcome. Heck I know people who've had their own guns stolen, police located them and they couldn't get them back until the perp's trials were completed because they were evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X