College Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Alternatives

So besides a trade school, what are some certifications or ???, that might be worth looking into. I ask because as we know a good portion of people with degrees are not working in that field. My son isn’t sure if college is for him, so I’m trying to see what other options there might be.

Thanks for the input in advance.

military is a good option learn a lot about what he or she wants to do.
    good place to learn discipline how to get along with all kinds of people .

See places they might never have a chance to see. Then have a better idea of what they want to do

when he gets out then va will help pay for some kind of formal training
    Last edited by clay4626; 02-23-2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Just curious, why not trade school?

Comment

Just trying to think of everything to share w/ him. He has no clue what he wants to do.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
          Just trying to think of everything to share w/ him. He has no clue what he wants to do.
          What does he love to do?

Comment

If he doesn’t mind traveling he could join up with a heavy haul company and get trained up in house. If you have ambition and a good work ethic with time it can be very lucrative. Mammoet, Barnhart, Fagioli etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

College Alternatives

Go work on a tow boat. Start as a deckhand , work your way through tankerman school then get your pilots license
              Different life style but can be lucrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You can pick any construction trade and make **** good money, some more than other.
                "If you stay with it".
                Seems kids job hop a lot nowdays.
                Stick with it, and learn it well.
                Most places will pay for you to get your certs(education).
                By the time your in your late 20's you should be more than able to start your own business.
                Well before then, if you apply yourself.
                If you didn't know,, Texas construction is booming !
                DFW was short around 40k workers last yr, in the construction trade.
                Texas is probably the easiest state in US, to become a very wealthy person, without any education.
                Good luck with whatever he chooses.
                Last edited by MadHatter; 02-23-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  Go work on a tow boat. Start as a deckhand , work your way through tankerman school then get your pilots license
                  Different life style but can be lucrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Have 2 cousins that do/did that.
                  1 quit last yr, couldn't take it anymore.
                  It does have it's perks, and captain is attainable by just anyone that works towards that goal.

Comment

In addition to what’s above, drafting or 3D design work although in Texas the O&G issues may not make that a great timing choice.

Drafting (ProE or solidworks cert) local options or Design Engine in Chicago for small class type stuff

Machinist, wherever work could be found as a helper or the community college. Learn to code CNC. HAAS or community college

NDT (Texas NDT)

Welding (Weld schools or community college)

Or other general trades like millwright, plumbing, hvac etc.

Start his own business. Home flooring, or whatever he may have a knack for.

Comment

I'll go with the join the military crowd. Have some fun, see the world and maybe learn a skill or two. Heavy equipment operator or something else with engineers or Seabees. If an option I would go Coast Guard. As said before the VA will help with education after service, and not just college, as well as VA benefits for home loans, etc......Navy is best chance to travel, Coast Guard has the best duty stations, Air Force is easiest and best chow, Army has a lot of different opportunities but also good chance of staying in the U.S., Marines, I'm veteran, limited duty stations and chow is nothing compared to all the others and I've served on all the different branch bases and by and large the other branches are treated better and more chances of lateral movements and opportunities.

I went in as infantry but got moved to Cryptologic Intelligence in Marines, thank god. Should have listened to my dad and gone in Coast Guard or Engineers and operated heavy equipment.

Comment

Find a carpenter and apprentice.

A good rough frame carpenter can find a very lucrative niche in custom home building

Comment

My thought is military or college, or a hell of a work ethic with some luck are your best 3 options.

Comment

Good point above. Know some guys who had good Coast Guard careers and either retired out or about to retire and go to private sector.

In private could go to ABS, DNV, or a number of other positions outside of maritime.

Comment

It's hardly fair to expect most 18-year-olds to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives--some do, but most do not.

I put my daughter through aptitude testing between her junior and senior years of high school (although you can do it at any point in your life...I did it after I retired) in order to quantify her aptitudes and interests as well as to have a disinterested third party (the counselor) confer with her about her test results; specifically, how they relate to potential career choices (which influences her higher ed choices) and what the current and future job markets look like for the her list of potential careers.

It was a very good experience for her and, ultimately, worth what we spent for her to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X