How do you smoke a turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you smoke a turkey?

My husband and I have decided to smoke 2 ten-11 pound turkeys for Thanksgiving. Is there anything special to this?

Thanks!

Brine the night before is key to keep from drying out.

Comment

It won't look like a traditional turkey, but when I smoke them I always part them out into the breast plate, and then 2 "quarters" (not really quarters) to allow me to pull parts that cook faster.

Comment

I can tell you they will be delicious!

Comment

Everything i've smoked I have used this website. You won't go wrong with any of the recipes.

https://www.smoking-meat.com/tag/turkey

Comment

Turkeys aren't very expensive. I would do a trial run on one this weekend if you have never cooked one before. I don't like to cook something new if serving friends and family.

Comment

Learn from the man who know's it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg

Comment

Brine overnight. Cut the back bone out and Butterfly them. I put a pan under them to protect from direct heat and catch the juice so my fire doesn't flare up. Cook them at 350-375 deg for 2-2.5 hours until done. You'll never cook one any other way after you try it like this.

Comment

I like to inject with Cajun butter. You can crank the temp up as cooking slow does nothing for turkey. Use a light wood (apple or other fruit wood or even pecan). Too much smoke can overpower turkey pretty quick. I normally only add smoke for 2-3 hours.

Comment

Cook to 165 in the breast. Check the thigh also - it needs to go to 175 - 180 degrees.
                    Cook Breast side up normally. Keep you cook temps up or the skin will get rubbery.

Comment

I tried this last year and I’ve gotten a request to do the exact same thing again this year.

The smoked maple barbecue turkey is, quite frankly, one of, if not the best, smoked turkey recipes I've done yet (if I can say that with a certain amount

Comment

Wrapped in cheesecloth, dampening cloth with cooking oil and put on the smoker.
                        When done and unwrapped it's golden brown without the heavy smoke flavor and super moist.

Comment

Inject with creole butter marinade, dust the outside with ragin blaze and put it on the smoker.

No brine necessary unless you just like to soak it in salt water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With a Hoyt !

Comment

Depends on which end you light it from.

Comment

Working...
                              X