Split’s Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split’s Down

Here’s the story behind my Houston County Buck call Spilt.

It all started back in ‘17 when this buck caught my attention cause of the split G2. He was a 8 point but the G2’s had my attention. I’ve never killed a lot of deer at this point a 7 & 8 point nothing outstanding. All we ever got was pictures of him never seen him in person, he wasn’t spectacular just different than what I had hanging on the wall.

‘18 rolls around got some pictures of him, glad to see he made it! He came in a 9 point this year. The week before season started my son says “dad I think I want to shoot Split.” I said ok well see if we can make it happen. Opening morning I’m in the stand Split comes in & he is gorgeous. All I could do was watch him cause my son wanted to
    shoot him. Saw him a few more times while I was by myself but just let walk. We never seen him when hunting with my son.

‘19 season gets here, he made it, this year his a 11 point. Second week end we got in front us & he will NOT give my son a shot! Directly facing us. Wouldn’t turn for nothing, then all of the sudden he bolted & was gone. Seen a few more times but he was out of range & wouldn’t in. He walks another year.

‘20 is here, this year he has small kicker on one of the split G2’s. Going through pictures we’ve got some good deer. My son says “dad we can’t let this deer walk this year. We’ve got to get him, either me or you.” Hunted 4 hunts didn’t even see a single deer any of those hunts. Here’s the funny part. I called my freind that owns the property where I hunt & tell him we’re coming to hunt. He says “ I sure hope y’all get’em. The neighbor seen him 3 days ago & put cameras in the edge of his woods & Split is traveling along his wood line. And he’s took a week vacation hunt him starting Saturday!” [emoji15][emoji15]

I was pumped about this hunt cause GarGuy said there would big some big bone hit the ground between Friday & Tuesday. We climbed in the stands around 1:30 Silas says “ dad remember we ain’t letting this deer walk.” & the wait begins. 2:30 seen nothing, 3:30 nothing, 4:30 nothing, 5:30 nothing haven’t even seen a squirrel!! Silas txt me & said he hears something to his right, I stand up & look. I can see him standing & looking around. We don’t see anything. 6:15 he txt me & hears something again. I stand & look around behind. I see deer movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deers coming from Silas’ direction, I can’t tell what is yet. It makes a S pattern & comes to the dry creek bed behind me about 10yrds. It’s Split!! I immediately get shook up, he’s 10yrds & coming right at my stand. He walks directly under my stand, I could have spit on him through my hang on. He goes to the hand corn, made circle & stops to eat. Problem is he stops with the sweet spot right in front of the only twig down there with leaves on it covering my shot. He stands there for about 5 minutes, finally I decide to try to fold my stand seat & kneel down to see if I could clear the twig. Got the seat up, problem!! My knees are horrible & I can’t kneel down. So I squat & trusting in my safety harness lean out & let my harness hold me. I can clear the twig now, draw the my bow settle the pin, thwack!!

Arrow hit high!! I couldn’t believe what was happening, I spined him. He was was on the ground kicking in a circle & I’m trying to get another arrow nocked. Finally got the arrow nocked & sent through the bottom of his chest into his heart.

I sat down collected my thoughts & then remorse hit me. There’s no way I should have taken that shot. I mean I’m squatted down, leaned out away from my stand relying on my harness & tree strap to hold me(I DO CHECK MY HARNESS & TREE STRAP REGULARLY BY HANGING IN THE HARNESS). Where’s any kind of form for a good shot in that.

Now the hunt is over & a new one begins. I’ve got the rest of this season to do nothing but take my boys & watch!!

Comment

Great write up, brother now it’s time to get Silas and Scott on some biggun’s

Comment

Congratulations on a great buck!

Comment

I can’t find my ‘17 season pictures of him.

Comment

Ive never scored a deer before but I used the B&C online calculator & he came out at 145 3/8”.

Comment

Great buck, glad you were able to get him after watching him for several years

Comment

It ain’t a bad shot if he’s in the cooler. Maybe not ideal, but short tracking job. Congrats on a great buck.

Comment

Awesome buck and great write up!

I would have guessed him breaking 150s on score

Mass 32
                  Spread 16
                  MB 22-22
                  G1 5-5
                  G2 9-11
                  G3 8-9
                  G4 2
                  Kickers 13

154”

Comment

I think he will score better than you think OP. Great buck. Congrats

Comment

Great buck! Love the splits and chocolate rack. I agree with the other guys, you’re low on your score

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck, and he sure looks bigger than 145 to me lol. Good job!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X