AR-15 decision time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-15 decision time

So I'm about to buy an AR-15. The primary focus is as a gun for my boys to hunt with. I like the idea of an adjustable stock so length of pull can be a non-issue. I think I've got it narrowed down to two guns and want to know what the experts around here have to say.

Rock River Arms Elite Operator2 - $1,019 shipped (no tax)

Colt LE6920MP-FDE - $899 shipped (no tax)

I'll be using a red dot on it for the boys to hunt with. I like the flip down front sight on the RRA as opposed to the fixed front sight on the Colt. How difficult is that to change? Also, the RRA comes with a 2 stage trigger while the Colt does not (as far as I can tell). If I could swap the fixed front sight to a low profile gas block and put a different rail on the Colt then I'd be looking at similar price points (colt would probably be a bit more but nothing crazy).

With that said, what should I do? Is there a different/better option that I'm missing?

I bought a couple of the 2 Vet Arms the other day. Have owned everything from Colt, Rock River, HK etc. Colt is hard to beat. Idid not look up specs on Elite operator but I'm sure it is fine. Look at the 2 Vet Arms. I love the side charge and seems to be quality. Triggers are suspect button easy swap. Of two mentioned, I would roll with the Colt.

Comment

I personally would buy the Colt and modify it like you want.

The Colt is the overall better quality rifle.

Comment

I own the elite operator and would state that it is on the heavy side. Great gun otherwise.

Comment

Colt

Comment

Colt!!

Comment

How hard is it to replace the fixed front sight with a low profile gas block?

Comment

ive got the rra, and love it, but like mentioned, it does have some weight behind it, but I use it to my advantage

Comment

colt

Comment

I've got a RRA R3 model. I love it and the 2 stage triggers they come with are real nice.

Comment

Look at the S&W M&P T (tactical) I bought one about a year ago. Comes with the flip front and rear sights, full rail system for your "extra stuff" if you are into that, and the 5R barrel. I'm very happy with it and it shoots great. It was about $1000 at Blacklands in Taylor, TX.

Comment

5-3 in favor of the Colt so far.

Replacing the fixed front sight with a low profile gas block.....difficult?

Comment

AR-15 decision time

RRA will be heavier than the Colt.

Changing the gas block is not difficult with the right tools. If you plan to run a magnified optic, just leave it. You wont see it if your scope is 2.5x or more

Sorry. Missed the part about running an rds. You can still run the front sight post if u want.

Comment

The colt is a superior battle gun as a base a line over the rran & if you add any top shelf accessories, the you have a tier one set up that will hold value as well as any.

Changing out the A2 site or even filing off flush & adding a rail with flip is simple, but not necessarily...go with the prancing pony amigo.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                              The colt is a superior battle gun as a base a line over the rran & if you add any top shelf accessories, the you have a tier one set up that will hold value as well as any.

Changing out the A2 site or even filing off flush & adding a rail with flip is simple, but not necessarily...go with the prancing pony amigo.

So I wouldn't do any damage by grinding the fixed front sight down to where the rail will fit?

Btw, anyone have experience with the Midwest Industries SSM Handguard?

Comment

Working...
                              X