• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only shoot "trophy spikes"

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      I shoot one every year.
      Really? I haven’t shot one in 20 yrs.

I can count on one hand how many 2.5 yr old spikes I have seen.

Comment

What about this one? Asking for a friend.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1edW_R1sBAw"]Spike - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I don't shoot them because every one I've ever seen was a baby. I've never seen a 2.5 yr old spike.

Comment

I only shot them on day ending in Y.

Comment

Nothing wrong with meat in the cooler. In the area of Arkansas my dad lives, a buck must have at least 3 points on one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                What about this one? Asking for a friend.

Spike - YouTube
                I'd shoot it.....dont look like a yearling to me

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                  When I hunted Mason Mountain several years ago, they were attempting to replicate this study.

Amount of growth in the first set of antlers in whitetail males was a poor predictor of antler growth at maturity. By 4.5 years of age there were no differences (P . 0.05) in antler measurements regardless of the amount of development of the first set of antlers at 1.5 years. We concluded culling of yearling males based on number of antler points would have little positive effect on overall antler quality in future years.

https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/cgi/v...ntext=forestry
                  It looks as if you have two conflicting studies here. One is pure pen research and the other seems to be more of a native range population. Also, one is over a +30 year period, the other in >10 year period.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    Links or references to studies?
                    The Kerr and two other studies I referred to are in the Tx Trophy Hunter journal, volumns 2,3,4,5 of 2010. The 4-part series is titled "The Spike Wars" and discusses the Kerr study, Dr. Kroll's study, and the study done in Mississippi.

Comment

Working...
                    X