Lost Pelicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Pelicans

Last Tuesday evening, Larry Weishuhn and I were on the San Saba River about 10 miles west of Menard when I noticed a flock of large birds flying from west to east. As they passed by, Larry counted and positively identified the birds... 59 white pelicans. I have never seen white pelicans within 150 miles of this area.
    Adios,
    Gary

We love watching pelicans diving on the coast. B-52's with feathers!!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Must be a significant food source up that way. They have made their way well inland in Mississippi, up into the Delta, attracted to the catfish farms there.

Comment

See them west of Lampasas quite often.

Comment

They are migrating north to breeding grounds

Comment

I've seen them way deep into Mexico on small stock tanks with no large significant other water sources for hundreds of miles.

Comment

Yes, heading north. Saw a bunch a couple weeks ago on Conroe.

Comment

Last year, we seen approximately 300-400 of them on Lake Proctor. Majority of them were close to the dam, stayed all weekend.

Comment

We see them quite a bit on the Llano River between Mason and Fredericksburg

Comment

We saw about 50 fly over us in Calvert,TX one time. Strangest thing you will ever see out there. They didn't even flap their wings. Like mentioned above they glided over us in perfect formation like silent B-52's.

Comment

I see them every winter on Lake Whitney. They winter over there, sometimes following the waterturkeys around. And seen them on a number of other North Texas Lakes.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

They come through twice a year here in llano. Two weeks ago we had a big group overnight in the backyard on the river. Bigbirds

Comment

What is really neat is watching them as a large group get up and gain altitude. They fly in a big circle till they get the desired height. Then glide and sail once the lead bird determines a direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            I see them every winter on Lake Whitney. They winter over there, sometimes following the waterturkeys around. And seen them on a number of other North Texas Lakes.

This^^^

I have seen them a number of times on Lake Cypress Springs in NE Texas in numbers too large to count. And yes, there are always many water turkeys mixed in.

Comment

During duck season I see the on the Red River at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X