Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to Western Texas (Camo Help)

Hello,
    So I'm moving to Ft Bliss Texas mid November and was wondering what you guys normally use for camo (Not specific styles but more so weight). All my hunting camo and gear was left at my ex's and that is probably trashed or donated. I got some semi lightweight jackets and pants in Mossy Oak and I'm getting a scent eliminating under layer (Have the top already just need bottoms). I was wondering if you guys find yourself needing more weather protection then what i described. Also for boots im thinking about getting just ankle moccasin type waterproof boots. I know some of these questions might be funny but I'm used to hunting out of a tree in 20 degree weather in MA and Upstate NY haha. I just want to be prepared for whats to come and any other hints and tricks for hunting West Texas would be very appreciated! (I'm kinda looking forward to hunting and not feeling like an iceicle for a change)
    -Sean

For west Texas you better have everything from light weigtht / warm weather gear to blizzard proof / colder than a witches titty bibs and parka. Its pretty much like hunting in the desert when it comes to temps during season. Sometimes its hot and sometimes its cold.

Comment

Thats good to know thanks for the quick response. Ill have to work on getting some cold weather gear as well than. What do you usually use for boots?

Comment

Originally posted by SRMartin15 View Post
        Thats good to know thanks for the quick response. Ill have to work on getting some cold weather gear as well than. What do you usually use for boots?
        Something snake proof

Comment

I would suggest thin layers to dress up and down according to what the temps are doing. As far as footwear goes, I like the Kevlar treated Pinnacle boots from Cabela's. That is Diamondback rattlesnake country and is what I tote in there.

Comment

In that part of the state you can scrap the camo...buy long range rifle! I wear BDU's most time...anything helps break outline is better than nothing. Walmart specials and use what foliage there is for concealment.

Comment

I always dress in layers. That's what has worked for me allover west and far west Texas. Keep in mind that it can get warm/hot during the day and cold/freezing at night during winters. I try to avoid wearing cotton unless I'm at camp especially during the spring and summer months. Hope this helps and welcome to the area.
              Last edited by Loreva13; 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RLoving1;7681805[B
                ]In that part of the state you can scrap the camo...buy long range rifle![/B] I wear BDU's most time...anything helps break outline is better than nothing. Walmart specials and use what foliage there is for concealment.
                Yep lol. Honestly anything tan will blend right in.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm a pretty avid bowhunter is that out of the question out there or is it just going to be more challenging?

Comment

having formerly lived in El Paso for 10 yrs can tell you its usually easier to hunt New Mexico than Texas, especially if you're young and tough. nonresident tags versus texas lease makes it pretty much a wash.

good news is elk, bear, mule deer, turkey and trout fishing are available within 3 hrs. of Fort Bliss. Timberon, Mayhill, Cloudcroft area is a good place to start for weekend hunts.

Fall in high country average day is 20's leaving camp tee shirt by nine AM. basicly layers is the name of the game. colors, greens, tans wouldn't over think it.

wouldn't worry about the whole bowhunting thing, it was a great time in my life, where in texas can you kill an elk 3 hrs. from the house? getting kind of envious here. LOL

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm a pretty avid bowhunter is that out of the question out there or is it just going to be more challenging?
                      Many Western Patterns to choose from. Check out Kings X Desert Shadow.

Blend into arid landscapes with Desert Shadow® camo, a proprietary patterns you can only get from Kings. Desert camouflage made by hunters, for hunters.
                      Last edited by JW; 10-11-2013, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's out of the question. It can be a bit more challenging but it makes the kill that much more sweeter!

Definitely look into hunting New Mexico. Timberon, Mayhill, Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, and the Gila forest offer great opportunities for elk, mule deer, bear, and turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                          having formerly lived in El Paso for 10 yrs can tell you its usually easier to hunt New Mexico than Texas, especially if you're young and tough. nonresident tags versus texas lease makes it pretty much a wash.

good news is elk, bear, mule deer, turkey and trout fishing are available within 3 hrs. of Fort Bliss. Timberon, Mayhill, Cloudcroft area is a good place to start for weekend hunts.

Fall in high country average day is 20's leaving camp tee shirt by nine AM. basicly layers is the name of the game. colors, greens, tans wouldn't over think it.

wouldn't worry about the whole bowhunting thing, it was a great time in my life, where in texas can you kill an elk 3 hrs. from the house? getting kind of envious here. LOL
                          You definitely just made my day that much better I'll probably be stationed there a few years and a three hour drive isn't that bad for such a range of animals. Ill have to start looking into it now and start planning. I also get a resident prices for being stationed at Ft Bliss as well. This little move is really looking up for me. Thanks everyone for all the help and look forward to what anyone else has to offer.

Comment

Been in El Paso for a while but just getting into hunting picking it up to save money on meats where can I go near El Paso that isn't private

Comment

Working...
                            X