Bow suggestions for a kid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow suggestions for a kid.

I am looking for a little advice on picking out a bow for my son.

My son is getting into archery and has recently started shooting in our local 4H archery program. He also loves to hunt and wants very much to get to where he can shoot deer with a bow. Right now he is 9 years old and average size and while he isn't ready to start hunting deer with a bow it won't be just too many more years before he will be.

He has a little Bear bow that is really more of a toy but he shoots it a whole bunch and isn't bad with it for what it is. He has outgrown it and it is time to step up.

So, for those who have experience with 4H archery and bowhunting what bow suggestions would you have?

I really like my Mathews/Mission dealer and would like to give him my business, though it does not have to be a Mission. Would the Craze or Riot work for what we are looking at doing? I know they would be fine for hunting but what about the 4H part?

I appreciate any feedback ya'll can give me.

I would either go with the mission craze, diamond infinite edge, or the Hoyt Ruckus. All are great bows with quite a bit of adjustment. As far as the riot goes, I feel like that may be a little longer and heavier than you would want for right now. The craze even has some weight on it rigged out so I would for sure try to get yalls hands on them when yall can. The infinite edge will be another great option with a ton of adjustment and a lighter overall weight than the riot or craze. The ruckus will be your least adjustable bow, but puts out a ton of performance for a smaller bow. Its light and runs around 380-400 rigged out ready to go. IMHO I would shop craze or Ruckus to start with, while also giving the infinite edge a shot

Comment

My daughter shoots the Hoyt Ruckus. She is 10.

The fit and finish on it is better than most of the bows we looked at. It is infinitely tuneable, like any Hoyt, and is pretty efficient for what it is. We are putting new Korbin strings on and tuning it over the next couple of evenings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380636646.573378.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	24251279

If he is serious, and you have the budget, Hoyt bows can be ordered with just about any draw weight and lots of draw lengths. It is a neat philosophy they have going. Athens is similar in that regard.

The Mission bows are pretty good, and a lot of folks really like them. The Infinite Edge is a neat bow, and popular with kids his age. PSE offers the Chaos bows, single and dual cam. Winchester has a kids bow, Destiny.

Don't rule out Bear, they make a few bows for small shooters, and they are great products.

Comment

Got a good deal on a bear apprentice 2 for my 9 yr old. He loves it. Overall a good bow. Was planning on getting him a craze but found the apprentice I Craigslist for a steal.. Lots of adjustment with the draw weight and cams

Comment

Bear aprentice II is what my daughter shoots. Great adjustability 15-27" draw length and 19-60 lbs draw weight no press needed just adjust the cam module. Great bow for the money and especially a growing kid.

Comment

The Craze is an awesome bow. My son has one and does well with it.

Comment

What type of rest do ya'll like for the little guys?

Comment

Not much is simple, or tougher than a Whisker Biscuit.

It offers full containment, and is a snap to tune. Perfect for youngsters. They don't damage very easy either, another added bonus.

As much as I like the Diamond bows, the Hostage rest is a piece of junk, and it is too shallow to use Blazer vanes.

As your kid advances, then move up to a nicer rest. Twerpy saved up allowance, and used Christmas money to put a QAD HDX on her bow this year.

Comment

I am a 4H archery coach and you will see every kind of bow out there. I have 3 bows and oldest started with a diamond, middle bear, youngest craze. Take your pic they are all great bows I am a bear fan. But that Craze is growing on me fast.

Comment

hello Glen,
                    How are ya?
                    We have a Diamond Infinite Edge at our house and not only is it a fun bow to shooot it is insanely adjustable, I am by no means an expert but it has served us well,

Comment

Hey Greg! It's been awhile.

It's on my list. I think I am going to take them to try a few out and see what they like best. My daughter has now taken an interest in it after going to her first 4H practice. I think she may well start out on an 'adult' bow. She is 5'4" tall and I think she may well be able to pull 40-50# already. She is pretty dang strong.

Looks like Santa may be bringing two bows. I may need a second job.

Comment

Originally posted by Decker View Post
                        Bear aprentice II is what my daughter shoots. Great adjustability 15-27" draw length and 19-60 lbs draw weight no press needed just adjust the cam module. Great bow for the money and especially a growing kid.
                        x2
                        also parker and bow tech have a program that they archer grows with the bow, in other words when he out grows the bow you buy the limbs for not too much money or something like that.

Comment

I have had quite a bit of experience with the mission craze bows and they are great little bows! Super adjustable and smooth as silk!

Comment

My son is 8 and has a Craze with a whisker biscuit. He loves it.

Comment

Hello,
                              Yea Im in the market to buy a bow for my girlfriend and I was looking into getting her the Diamond Infinity Edge. The adjustability not only in DL but also in DW is remarkable and the reviews i have read about the bow seem very solid. Ill probably end up going with this model but I looking to have her run a few arrows through it before we pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X