Kids Dental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids Dental

I have a question for you guys and gals. My oldest had two cavities filled a couple of years ago. Both fillings fell out and it hasn't been more than two years! Is it normal for them to fall out or should I take him back where we got it done and make them fix it?

Need to be fixed, not normal for fillings to fall out.

Comment

Poor dentistry

Go back for replacement and ask for a different dds

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
        Poor dentistry

That’s a bold statement when you have no idea what actually caused it. Primary teeth in kids are much different than permanent teeth in adults. Two years can be a long time on baby teeth. They tend to decay much faster and fracture once the roots resorb. Typically a poorly done filling will fail faster than two years on kids.
        Take them back in and let them show you what happened. They should all have intraoral cameras in the office. It could very well be that there was some decay left or they did not get a strong bond but you can’t determine that without someone looking at it. Hopefully if they were poor quality they will replace them at no charge.

Comment

Wife is dental hygienist in pediatric dentistry. Can be lot's of things outside poor work by dentist, like additional decay that has since developed. She suggests taking it back to same dentist for opinion and if you don't like answer, get a second one before proceeding. Also depends on age of child as if they are losing tooth soon...

Hope that helps some..
          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
            That’s a bold statement when you have no idea what actually caused it. Primary teeth in kids are much different than permanent teeth in adults. Two years can be a long time on baby teeth. They tend to decay much faster and fracture once the roots resorb. Typically a poorly done filling will fail faster than two years on kids.
            Take them back in and let them show you what happened. They should all have intraoral cameras in the office. It could very well be that there was some decay left or they did not get a strong bond but you can’t determine that without someone looking at it. Hopefully if they were poor quality they will replace them at no charge.
            40+ year career in dental working for leading manufacturers.

If future decay was of concern, they may have used an incorrect restorative selection. Same if they could not control moisture / saliva. Thus the failure to bond.... Who knows their curing light could have been weak and not tested to verify proper material cure.

Only 2 years success with today's restorative technologies would have me going to a new provider.

Comment

40+ year career in dental working for leading manufacturers.

If future decay was of concern, they may have used an incorrect restorative selection. Same if they could not control moisture / saliva. Thus the failure to bond.... Who knows their curing light could have been weak and not tested to verify proper material cure.

Only 2 years success with today's restorative technologies would have me going to a new provider.
              Congrats on the long career in the dental field. How many restorations have you actually placed in primary teeth in that 40 years? My point is that making a claim of poor dentistry is irresponsible when you really have no idea what caused the failure. Take the kid back and let them see what actually happened.

Comment

1 of 2 failing, yes go back

2 of 2 failing, I would take my child somewhere else

Comment

1 of 2 failing, yes go back

2 of 2 failing, I would take my child somewhere else
                  That's kind of what I was thinking!

Comment

Poor dentistry

Yep, I agree! The place we went to is really expensive.

Comment

Working...
                    X