Refinishing a 700 BDL stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refinishing a 700 BDL stock

I haven’t searched for this yet, but wondered if this is a bigger project than I think.
    I would like to do a Matt finish. Old 70’s model stock is in rough shape.
    Thanks.

BP

Why not buy one?

Comment

If the wood has any character an oil finish can be purty.
      Attached Files

Comment

If you decided to tackle a BDL stock be very careful with grip cap and fore end tip some stripper’s will eat the plastic if left on too long. Other wise pretty simple strip sand iron out any dents and an oil finish should look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
          If the wood has any character an oil finish can be purty.
          CZ 452? Amazing checkering is it a Dubiel stock?

Comment

Tru oil with light, even coats. The more coats the glossier it gets. Fun project in the winter.

Comment

Model 70 I refinished
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                CZ 452? Amazing checkering is it a Dubiel stock?
                If I remember correctly it is. Absolutely the prettiest stock I own. Metalwork is polished and reblued as well. Shoots Eley high velocity in one hole & 50 yds.
                I bought it off here for about the price of a new 452 at the time.

Comment

I just redid the stock on my savage 340. After a lot of research I went with citrus strip to remove the old finish using a toothbrush in the checkering and used the tru oil for the new finish. It turned out better than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use matt polyurethane in a rattle can on my self bows. Waterproof forever. Lots of custom trad bow makers use matt Poly.

Comment

Originally posted by khunter View Post
                      I just redid the stock on my savage 340. After a lot of research I went with citrus strip to remove the old finish using a toothbrush in the checkering and used the tru oil for the new finish. It turned out better than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I have the same gun in .222. Now I see I need to redo that one also

Thanks to all of you for the help on refinishing.

I did get a laugh out of “just buy a new one”. I’m an old dude that repurposes everything. And actually have time for my projects now.

Comment

I have refinished many rifle stocks over the years, but never a Remington 700 BDL. I am not sure what they used on those stocks, for finish. It looks like an epoxy coating to me. I have thought a couple times about refinishing one, but feared, I would make a mess of the stock, so I decided the dings in the stock were not all that bad. I would like to know how it goes, on at least the stripping the finish off part. I really don't know what kind of can of worms that might be. Good luck.

Comment

Stripping one dem old Remington stocks requires about 15 gallons of elbow grease and enough man hours for a months pay if'n you do it with sandpaper and steel wool and the right checkering tool. Just don't sand down and flatten the checkering.

Comment

Look at duracoat. I'm planning to do my ar10. Heard nothing but great things.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamerendino View Post
                              Look at duracoat. I'm planning to do my ar10. Heard nothing but great things.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
                              On a walnut stock?

Comment

Working...
                              X