No announcement yet.

Action Truing Ride Along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write up for all the regular folks like me to understand. I often watch videos on YouTube about action truing…I could watch those lathes cut for hours if I didn’t have to get any work done.

Comment

Great write up and explanations!!! Fairly certain Jimmy might have put you up to this after I ran my fast twist .270 project past him

Comment

Robert, love the write up bud. Awesome coverage and it needed to be said as Remingtons seem to have gotten worse and worse and you never know how bad it is until you tear into one.

Jon b, don’t get me started on that.

Comment

Robert,
          How true are the actions on the more premium production rifles (e.g., Cooper)?
          Cheers,
          Mitch

Comment

excellent pics , write-up, and description Robert. Having done that more times than I can count, the whole process takes hours and is very tedious. Lots of measuring and gauge reading to make sure you're dead nuts on perfectly.

That being said, it's amazing what technology can do. Video of a 5-axis CNC automated mill doing a complete action truing job in roughly 7 minutes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDM996TxcM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDM996TxcM[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              excellent pics , write-up, and description Robert. Having done that more times than I can count, the whole process takes hours and is very tedious. Lots of measuring and gauge reading to make sure you're dead nuts on perfectly.

That being said, it's amazing what technology can do. Video of a 5-axis CNC automated mill doing a complete action truing job in roughly 7 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfDM996TxcM
              It's pretty amazing for sure. As far as I know, Chad is the only one actually doing it in the industry. We have transitioned every other machining op to CNC over the years except for action truing(though we did for a short time on a CNC lathe). We have looked at adding a probe to our mill, or just replacing it with something newer altogether to go down that path. Seeing fewer and fewer Rem based builds each year makes it hard to justify the expense. As the guy that is tasked with all of the truing that comes through here, I'd sure welcome the change

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                Robert,
                How true are the actions on the more premium production rifles (e.g., Cooper)?
                Cheers,
                Mitch
                I have never measured a cooper, so I don't know. The problem with measuring any of them is determining the centerline so that you have a baseline to reference. I'd need a set of bushings ground for each and every raceway diameter out there, which varies by maker. I have a pretty good collection that covers what we do day in and day out, but far from enough to cover everything out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                  Man that was a super informative write up. Years ago, Hill Country offered an "action truing" or blue printing service in the 700 action.

Not sure what all they did to my rifle but there was nothing I could visibly see that changed.

Gun shot good before and slightly better afterwards. Makes me wonder how much of how little they did. My barrel stamps are still in the same place. So not convinced the barrel was removed.
                  That's one of the reasons that prompted me to post this. There seems to be a lot of different opinions and confusion on what truing an action actually consists of. There isn't really a standard out there, so a lot of folks really don't know what to expect when requesting to have it done.

Comment

Great information Robert.

I have an action that i think will fall into the punt pile, but I want to re-barrel it.

Other than a paper weight, can an action that is imperfect be used or barreled with a 0.75MOA instead of a .25MOA expectation?

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
                      Great information Robert.

I have an action that i think will fall into the punt pile, but I want to re-barrel it.

Other than a paper weight, can an action that is imperfect be used or barreled with a 0.75MOA instead of a .25MOA expectation?
                      You just hit on another great point! I don't think anybody can really tell you exactly how much truing an action actually impacts accuracy. There is no real way to test it. By truing you have changed headspace at a minimum, and likely taken the original barrel out of the picture altogether if you had to open up the receiver threads. There is no way to really isolate the truing work from the other work that needs to be done to accommodate it. We have to assume that eliminating as many surface errors as we can will have positive results. It for sure won't shoot any worse, and a new barrel and straight chamber will hide a lot of sins. I've seen plenty of 1/4 MOA 700 builds on untouched actions.

Comment

Thanks Robert. One of your customs is a bucket list item for me but with a factory 700 shooting sub moa with cor-lokts I can never seem to wrench my wallet open.

Comment

Robert, thanks for the detailed postings! Have you had an opportunity yet to evaluate the new Remington’s 700 receiver? Just curious to learn how they are stacking up in regards to quality of the build.

Comment

Cool video, Blake!

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
                              Robert, thanks for the detailed postings! Have you had an opportunity yet to evaluate the new Remington’s 700 receiver? Just curious to learn how they are stacking up in regards to quality of the build.
                              I have not had a chance to see one yet. I am looking forward to seeing what, if any changes were made. I'll report my findings when I do!

Comment

Robert, what is it about the manufacturing process with 700 actions that (presumably) make them more susceptible to warpage than the 700 "clones"?

Comment

Working...
                                X