Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did delta

Comment

Going in June and about to book. Probably Delta and the nonstop.
      Think we are looking at leaving on a Wednesday.

Comment

I did Delta....loved spending a ton of money to not get my guns to Africa on the same flight. Their screw up made it where I couldn't hunt with my own firearms. Not real happy with Delta.

Comment

I've done Delta out of ATL 3 times and SAA out of JFK once. A little cheaper out of JFK and arrival time in Jo'berg better but needed an overnight stay in NY to catch the JFK flight so really took two days to travel rather than 1 really long day (I know the calendar will say 2). On my next trip I plan to fly Delta.

Comment

I flew on Ethiopian out of DC in August. There is a bit of a cluster when you get to Addis Abada as you have to get off the plane and "clear" your guns through their customs. Its in the baggage area dungeon, quite loud, quite dangerous of getting hit by a baggage truck. But the airline is good. I upgraded to business class through an auction they offer once you have booked your seats.

Comment

We're debating whether to take a non-stop or a layover in Europe (likely London). I suppose if we have a long enough layover, we can get out and stretch and can say we've been to (fill in the blank). Couple other questions that have come up:

Is it cheaper to leave mid-week?
              If we stop in London, do they require you to do anything with your firearms or do they just transfer from one plane to the next?
              Can you take a pistol with you?
              Can you ship your rifle instead of taking it on the plane?
              If a tree falls in the bush and there's no one there to hear it...

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Comment

We had a layover in Amsterdam on the way back. It was miserable (2-3 hour layover). At that particular point I was just ready to be home

It was much cheaper for us to leave Wednesday vs Friday

Not sure about the rifle thing, but the list of airlines for our outfitter said avoid Europe if traveling with a gun

You might be able to take a pistol. But don’t think it’s necessary

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                  We had a layover in Amsterdam on the way back. It was miserable (2-3 hour layover). At that particular point I was just ready to be home
                  We were thinking that if there’s a 6 hour (or more) layover, we ought to have enough time to leave the airport and eat lunch or something.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    We were thinking that if there’s a 6 hour (or more) layover, we ought to have enough time to leave the airport and eat lunch or something.
                    My only recommendation is not to try and get too creative. International layovers coupled with limited flight schedules and full flights can be problematic. Lunch in Paris is nice, but not at the expense of missing 2 days of hunting due to long security lines and crappy cab driver.

Focus on the least number of opportunities for something to go wrong in Africa.

There is a saying used over there..... "This is Africa". You get to throw out all logic and reason while having someone making $15/day determining your fate. Keep it simple.

This is based on my 9-10 safaris to most of the relevant African countries (SA, Zim, Moz, Botswana...).

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                      My only recommendation is not to try and get too creative. International layovers coupled with limited flight schedules and full flights can be problematic. Lunch in Paris is nice, but not at the expense of missing 2 days of hunting due to long security lines and crappy cab driver.

Focus on the least number of opportunities for something to go wrong in Africa.

There is a saying used over there..... "This is Africa". You get to throw out all logic and reason while having someone making $15/day determining your fate. Keep it simple.

This is based on my 9-10 safaris to most of the relevant African countries (SA, Zim, Moz, Botswana...).
                      Do you know if stopping in Europe (a layover) is problematic when taking firearms? Can firearms be shipped ahead of time?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        Do you know if stopping in Europe (a layover) is problematic when taking firearms? Can firearms be shipped ahead of time?
                        No on shipping ahead. As for stopping in another country, you will need to know the requirement for each country. I strongly advise against it. I have never done it and have never had my guns delayed or lost….knock on wood!!!

You can call Gracy Travel or Travel with Guns and ask them directly. They are subject matter experts in this arena.

Lastly, there are meet and greet services to assist and expedite the gun import process in South Africa. I have used these several times and find them reassuring and effective, all for minimal costs.

Riflepermits.com is one such resource.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                          No on shipping ahead. As for stopping in another country, you will need to know the requirement for each country. I strongly advise against it. I have never done it and have never had my guns delayed or lost….knock on wood!!!

You can call Gracy Travel or Travel with Guns and ask them directly. They are subject matter experts in this arena.

Lastly, there are meet and greet services to assist and expedite the gun import process in South Africa. I have used these several times and find them reassuring and effective, all for minimal costs.

Riflepermits.com is one such resource.
                          Good info. Thanks. I’ll check it out.

Comment

You may also look into using your PHs rifle. I'm not sure what outfit you are with, but you can inquire about that. Some outfitters/PHs will let you use their rifles for free, some will rent them to you for the trip. I've always gone bowhunting but on a few occasions I decided to pick up a rifle just for fun and always just used my PHs with no charge.

Makes the travel part of it really easy if you aren't taking a firearm.

Comment

You rifle hunting or bowhunting?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                You rifle hunting or bowhunting?
                                I'm bowhunting but my buddy's rifle hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X