Broadhead Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead Practice

How much do you guys practice with your broadheads versus field points? And does anyone do it their neighborhood backyard? I live in a suburb of Ft. Worth so not big acreage.

I check each arrow with a broadhead at 30yds. All of my arrows are number so I can track them. If they aren’t within 1” of where my field points hit then they are culled and become a target only arrow. Outside of that I don’t shoot my broadheads. I do this each season prior to hunting getting kicked within a week or two.

Comment

If I shoot TPs, I shoot my broadheads.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I shoot broadheads for all practice near and during season

Comment

I shoot broadheads the day before/morning of a hunt - every hunt.
            I had an arrow plane on me a couple of years ago and it has made me obsessive about checking with broadheads to make sure everything is in tune.

Comment

Shoot a field point. Then a fixed blade at 20. If it’s way off your out of tune. Get it right before you launch at a deer. If you think it’s a headache getting into it. Wait till your three hills in looking for the deer you hit 6 inches left.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
                I check each arrow with a broadhead at 30yds. All of my arrows are number so I can track them. If they aren’t within 1” of where my field points hit then they are culled and become a target only arrow. Outside of that I don’t shoot my broadheads. I do this each season prior to hunting getting kicked within a week or two.
                I do this plus a check periodically throughout season

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shooting fixed blades beyond 20yds is important!

My first season of Bowhunting I thought I was doing great with fixed blades since I only shot them at 20. Well, unfortunately I had a buck come in at 30. It hit 6 inches left and was a full on gut shot and I never recovered that deer.

I didn’t know anything about tuning back then, much less to check outserts for wobble or whether I had the right spine. Now I test fixed out to 60 at least.

Back when I shot slick tricks I had a point in the season where they started hitting 2 inches low. Turns out my strings had stretched 1/8th of an inch after taking the bow out in the rain. Field points were hitting the same.

Test em during the season too!

Comment

I shoot BH in my yard to 40. Beyond that, I go to a park and go where people don't go to shoot them. I usually shoot out to 70, and have this done by August 1. Once I know they match field points, I just shoot field points, with a random BH stuck in there every once and a while until I go hunting.

I am sure there is park you can go to nearby. Just know your local laws and ordinances.

Comment

I only shoot BH's to confirm they are hitting with field points and to do any necessary tuning. They tear up targets too bad and there is just no need to practice with them. I'd recommend a stall mat back stop at the very least if you are in a residential area.

Comment

This is what I do plus during season occasionally just to check on things.

I use a stall mat for a back stop just in case.....

Comment

Working...
                        X