Mountain lion down, will be hard to top this hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain lion down, will be hard to top this hunt

I got to the ranch in Comstock Friday early afternoon after Thanksgiving with the family. Said hi and shook hands with my lease family, got unpacked real quick, changed then headed to a set we call the Taj. It’s a Maverick blind secured to a 10 ft base on a flat next to a deep canyon/rock river bottom.

Back in April, we were Turkey hunting this set and the wind was whipping, my girl friend glanced out the closed window to our left and said holy s***, there’s a mountain lion. She had stalked up to the feeder and was waiting for the Turkey just like us. Neither of us wanted to shoot it with the shotgun so we watched for a moment and it bolted after a few seconds.

So Friday evening I’m bow hunting this same set and several deer at the feeder, they seem to be getting skittish so I lean over and low and behold there is the lion stretched out at the base of some bushes, she is in full blown stalk mode and fixed on a doe feeding toward her. I start shaking instantly and tell myself how crazy it would be if I was able to get a shot on her. My mind began raving about what I needed to do in order to set up for a shot, first stand up quietly and lift my chair to move over about 8 inches to the right because I’m so close to the side of the blind, open the blind window that she is at and lower slowly without her looking up in here. Before I did all this I managed to get a short video of her laying there then went into action. There was brush in between myself and the cat and I didn’t want to thread the needle, after a few seconds the cat raised up and straightened out her front legs perfectly broadside at 18 yds.

By the grace of God I was able to perform those tasks without spooking the cat. I drew my Hoyt, anchored and put the arrow tight right behind the shoulders. The cat jumped vertically maybe 5-6 ft high and did a 360 in the air. My arrow landed just in the other side of her after passing through. I looked at the arrow with my binos and see blood on the white fletching. I played it over and over, telling myself to be patient and give it time. This was at 1720. I stayed until 7 in the blind to not spook anything and sent a few messages. My lifelong bud Shawn assures me that I smoked her and tells me this from 400 miles away like he was there for the shot, that made me feel good. Got down and got my arrow, it had very little blood on it and hair in the broadhead. I got back to camp, praying for God to let me recover it and for some reason doubting my shot with the amount of blood. I pull up next to my buddy Brian at camp and he says, where is he!? I said down in the canyon somewhere, I shot a mountain lion. So back in October last year Brian also shot a mountain lion with his bow at another set out here, sure some of you seen the thread, dude is a killer. I show him the arrow and he says not to worry, that his arrow had zero blood on it. I felt a little better at that point. We ate dinner and killed some time, at 2030 we took up the track, I was relieved we found blood in the first 20 feet in direction of travel. We saw it was bleeding from both sides but only dime sized drops every 5-6ft. It had started sprinkling and the blood was still detectable on the large wet rocks in the canyon bottom. We did this maybe a 100 yds or so and I was not feeling so good about the direction it was headed, very deep and thick stuff. I looked down and one more drop of blood and glanced ahead another 10 feet and there she laid stone dead. Man you talk about feeling thankful and blessed. We high fived and hugged then took a few pics. I thanked them for the help and we had her loaded and back at camp. We had a couple cold ones and stood by the fire a while before calling it a night. A high like no other. Thank y’all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that is cool, congrats

Comment

Dream critter and with a bow! Freaking ****** man! Congrats. That’s gonna be one expensive mount

Comment

Freaking amazing

Comment

You just lived my wet dream. Big congrats!

Comment

This is awesome! Congrats

Comment

What a deal ! I don’t know that I would have the stones to track that sucker at night. Congrats !

Comment

Awesome. Congratulations

Comment

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to you that is ******

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool, congrats!!

God Bless
                      Bish

Comment

Hot dog son! That’s awesome! You guys are making memories and collecting trophies. Congratulations!!!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Now that's awesomeness!!!! [emoji106] Cougars are just amazing critters!!![emoji95][emoji1018][emoji95]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Great story

Comment

Working...
                              X