Personal Best Whitetail & A BLESSED Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal Best Whitetail & A BLESSED Thanksgiving

Or more like buck of my life time. SORRY for the long post.
    My wife killed her best buck ever a few weeks ago on our place we bought last Feb. We had watched both these deer grow over the summer. She had named this buck I killed big boy. We both had him at less than 20 yards during bow season, but he didn't present a shot we felt comfortable with. Twice I had him at 20 yards or less,but couldn't seal the deal. He was at 30 yards at one point & perfect,but I felt he was alerted & didn't want to take a chance on wounding him. All three times he would finally just walk off. Never run etc, just calmly turn and walk away. We get there Weds for Thanksgiving & hadn't seen him on camera for 2-3 weeks. Figured neighbor got him or he was off chasing does. Thurs wind was howling & I asked my son which stand he wanted. He picked & I mentioned Sw as we call it. He said wind is blowing straight at feeder from blind. I told him keep windows closed. He went to the other blind. I knew I couldn't bow hunt there either, wind was wrong for both blinds. So I took the rifle & figured maybe a pig would show. Had a small 8 come out as soon as I sat down. He was feeding on road & walked right through the wind twice & never paid attention to the stand. Feeder went off & I had 2 bucks feeding downwind. Never got spooky etc. I looked through the brush & saw a good deer coming & picked up my binos. As soon as I hit him I knew it was big boy. He walked out by feeder & I am still thinking ,it is him. I haven't got excited in years over a whitetail, but my heart was thumping. I NEVER expected to see him on a set up like today. LOL! As I was trying to open the window quietly he was standing behind a mesquite. When I eased the rifle out he looked right at me. My heart sank. He got me. I had a clear neck shot ,but didn't want that shot. After what seemed like a looong time he started stepping out. As soon as his shoulder cleared the tree I let one go. Saw the mule kick & heard the thump. He ran right at me & I could see it was a fatal shot. He was running & falling sideways. He fell 30 yards from me. I still couldn't believe he was down. Texted the wife & said I just got Big Boy. She asked if I had tracked him yet, I told her he fell right in front of me. She was on the way. As I walked up to him there wasn't any ground shrinkage. I gave up a prayer & honored a great animal. I had 2 things I was sad about as I contemplated what had just happened. One was the killing of a great buck & wishing my son had picked that blind. Her buck had weighed 218 lbs & Big Boy was a bigger bodied animal over the summer ,but in 3 weeks he had lost alot of weight. You could see his backbone & he wasn't layered in fat like hers was. He weighed about 182 live weight. I was thinking he might go 160 ,but I have always scored low. The next morning I met up with Chance Love to get him caped & let Chance do the taxidermy work. Chance's first words when I texted him a pic was Holy Sheet, are you kidding me. When Chance got through scoring him & said the score, I actually thought he scored wrong ,but I watched him record everything. All I can say is WOW! I never thought he was this caliber of deer. Total score was 179 6/8. It is still hard for me to take it all in. My buddies were telling me you had a deer like this around & you were chasing ducks on the place instead of hunting this deer. Told them ducks are 1st. LOL! We were TRULY blessed this Thanksgiving on our place. Son got a pig that morning, I killed a few ducks at one of my ponds & then that evening I got the deer of my life time. To finish off the weekend we had a good wad of ducks move on to one of the ponds & we killed limits the last morning there.

Here are some pics of the weekend.

Last edited by DUKFVR; 11-28-2021, 06:16 PM.

Congratulations David what a toad

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats again David on a awesome buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

What an amazing specimen! Congrats on your patience and doing the right thing being rewarded!

Comment

Congrats on a beast of a buck!

Comment

What a STUD, David!!!!!! Congrats, bud!!!!!

Comment

Shoulda given him another day! Congrats to my killing partner!

Comment

Man there is nothing prettier than nice long toned, symmetrical, typical buck!

Congrats David!

Comment

Amazing deer, congratulations!

Comment

What a buck…congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow!!!!!
                        That is an absolute GIANT!!!!!! Really cool you got him on your place that you bought!!!!

Big Congrats on the monster buck. I enjoying see threads like this one.

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats David. Great deer both you and your wife has taken.

Time to get after them ducks.

Comment

Unbelievable buck! Very happy for you. Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X