First Axis!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Axis!!

Always wanted to kill an Axis, so finally decided to book a hunt for one. I found a great priced archery outfit and decided to book it. I knew going in it would be tough but was hoping to find a legal one which was 27” or bigger. They weren’t getting hardly any pictures of axis on the cameras, so I hoped I would at least have one opportunity. We drove in late Friday night to hunt Saturday and Sunday.
    We woke up Saturday morning and climbed in the blind overlooking a feeder and a long planted sendero lane. At daylight lol saw 2 axis does cross the trail but not come in. I decided to use the elk cow call I bought and hit it a couple times. The does never came in and disappeared. About 5 min later I looked behind me and this guy steps out in the rd behind us and starts coming in. He was limping and stopping periodically making scrapes. Every time he’d turn to make a scrape I thought it was over and he would go into the woods. Well he eventually came walking right underneath our blind and walked out at 15 steps quartering away. I have to say it was the hardest my heart has beaten! This axis was a warrior and had a broken hoof on the front right foot. I know he came to the bleats I was doing. I honestly never thought I’d kill the biggest one they had pics of and biggest one shot on the place. They told me axis weren’t hitting the feeders but they were around there so give it a shot. I’m glad I did, because it was the only axis I saw both days. Between the moon etc. it was tough seeing any daytime movement. I will eventually post the videos etc of the hunt and place. Definitely the biggest axis i will ever shoot with my bow. The shot was angled just right where it hit guts, liver, lung, and offside shoulder. Not having an exit made it tough to have a ton of blood. The blood was sporadic and eventually ran out around 80 yds in a big field. We looked all over but could not find where he crossed. So we got the dogs to be safe and not risk bumping him. They ran straight to him around 300 yds from last blood.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hunt4Jesus; 11-23-2021, 09:51 PM.

Nice Axis…Congrats.

Comment

Nice congrats!!

Comment

Congrats!

We have a bunch of bucks with damaged horns like that on the ranch I work at. The bad freeze last winter hurt all of the bucks that were in velvet at the time.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That’s a big ole goodun or a good ole biggun! Either way, nice animal! Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice. Looks like he was a true warrior. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on some of he best venison you will ever eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Congrats!

We have a bunch of bucks with damaged horns like that on the ranch I work at. The bad freeze last winter hurt all of the bucks that were in velvet at the time.

Bisch
                    Congrats from me too, and we too have a bunch with damaged antlers like that. Any in velvet during the freeze died and then became brittle. They are all broken up like that or worse.

Our land owner called a moratorium on axis this season, so our freezer is going to be struggling.

Comment

Nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats to you! I am still waiting on mine!

Comment

Thanks everyone, was a great experience

Comment

Working...
                          X