Hunting Dog Question (Boykin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Dog Question (Boykin)

We got a Boykin Spaniel recently and the puppy is now 4 months old. The puppy comes from a great hunting line and arguably the best Boykin trainer in the country. This is also our first real hunting dog. I’m a tad concerned as the puppy doesn’t seem naturally that interested in retrieving. I go outside and try to make playing with bumpers fun, etc. but he isn’t that interested. He will chase tennis balls most of the time but is more interested in goofing around than even that.

I guess my question is should I be concerned about his future hunting ability? I’m going to send him to the trainer for formal training when he turns six months old but won’t lie that I thought he would naturally want to retrieve more than he is. Other than that he has been an amazing family dog. Even at 4 months he has been a ton of fun inside the house, with the kids, etc.

First time bird dog owner. Have a two and half year old German shorthair.

To encourage retrieve I played fetch in hallway with door closed at end of hall with him. Used a balled up sock and he only had one way to go. Back to me. Gave puppy game that he couldn’t screw up. When he was done and wouldn’t retrieve we’d stop and not push it.

He was great retrieving and then sort of lost interest and wanted to goof. If he wouldn’t retrieve we’d stop playing fetch. Also played wing on a string with him 1-2 a week for a few weeks.

He is fully trained and has pointed and retrieved a lot of quail and has retrieved ducks for me.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much and wouldn’t pressure him that much. They kind of go in waves but with good breeding I think they’ll end up where you want em.

Wise trainer/breeder told me you’re really a dog trainer you’re first two years and then you can make it about you and hunting performance. The puppy should have fun when they’re a puppy and when they’re older you can start getting on em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can I ask where you got him from? With the information you provided about the pup and trainer, I think I might have a female from the same litter.

Comment

Try a wing on a fishing pole/string.. tease or play until he's fired up, praise him, and put it away for tomorrow.. repeat slowly until they are excited about chasing something!

Comment

I would honestly say at the 4 month age he should have the retrieving on his mind that’s what he is bred for. Take him for a week and give him stern obedience training. And What I mean by that is when it doesn’t do right don’t just beat it but cut a switch and make it do what you want it to do it to do off of that. That gets their minds where it needs to be. Don’t make everything he does fun. Don’t let him get away with being stupid. That’s the age he needs to learn what it’s all about. They learn soon when the only fun they have is hunting or retrieving they learn to like it. Like I said don’t be too hard on him because he’s still young. But be firm with what you want if that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tfowler10 View Post
            Can I ask where you got him from? With the information you provided about the pup and trainer, I think I might have a female from the same litter.
            Sent you a PM with the info. Appreciate the tips from everybody. I also messaged the trainer to get his thoughts.

Comment

No knowledge here but interested in the replies/info. One question I would have is: does the being a pet around the house "distract" from the pup's drive to retrieve/hunt? We often hear that a dog's natural instinct is to please it's master/alpha leader. Could the pup be confused as to what actions will please his master??

Comment

Does the pup have any other toys in the house they enjoy to play with? Maybe try building prey drive with those before switching over to the bumpers? Also, could maybe try live quail to see if the switch flips. If it’s the trainer I’m thinking you got a pup from, he’ll have some ideas to try and would follow his advice. Good luck, if you ever want to get out to train, let me know. You’ve got my number if you want to reach out as well.

Comment

work on obediance first, sit, stay, heel, get that done first, check out bill hillman and freddie king videos on youtube, my trainer has told me boykins are extremely hard headed and stubborn

Comment

A couple of things to try. Always leave him wanting more. Stop when you say stop, not when he is done. If he doesn't show much interest but you can get 3 retrieves out of him with a tennis ball (or favorite toy, etc.) before he looses interest then stop at 1 or 2 with lots of excitement. Hopefully you can build it up and he will get excited about it. You want him to be looking for that next throw not quitting because he is hot or tired or bored.

Another thing to try is birds. The easiest thing to do is by some scent (dove or quail), I'm sure it won't take much research to find out what is strongest. Another option is using the real thing like a frozen pigeon. I have always been told to use pigeons instead of dove for dove training because they hold their feathers better (no gummed up mouth, etc.) and are a little bigger. Use frozen for a couple of reasons. First it will be good for multiple sessions (stop when it starts to thaw) and second the frozen/hard bird helps develop a soft mouth because they can't sink there teeth into it. I have had dogs in the past that won't look twice at a tennis ball or bumper no matter what but once you get a bird or bird scent it's game on. One of my current dogs is like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ776 View Post
                      First time bird dog owner. Have a two and half year old German shorthair.

To encourage retrieve I played fetch in hallway with door closed at end of hall with him. Used a balled up sock and he only had one way to go. Back to me. Gave puppy game that he couldn’t screw up. When he was done and wouldn’t retrieve we’d stop and not push it.

He was great retrieving and then sort of lost interest and wanted to goof. If he wouldn’t retrieve we’d stop playing fetch. Also played wing on a string with him 1-2 a week for a few weeks.

He is fully trained and has pointed and retrieved a lot of quail and has retrieved ducks for me.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much and wouldn’t pressure him that much. They kind of go in waves but with good breeding I think they’ll end up where you want em.

Wise trainer/breeder told me you’re really a dog trainer you’re first two years and then you can make it about you and hunting performance. The puppy should have fun when they’re a puppy and when they’re older you can start getting on em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ one of the best replies so far. As a semi professional dog trainer (not enough money in the business to keep me after college) I saw a lot of dogs/puppies that were not remotely interested in retrieving and just wanted to play. However once trained and going after a life bird they would retrieve all day. Heck best Labrador and GSP retriever I ever owned never played fetch with me as adults, actually refused to and would walk away with the ball. But in the field it was a different story.

Let the pup be a pup. Your trainer will work his magic when the time comes.

-Jack

Comment

I’ve got the opposite. Our Boykin was purchased at 9 months and from the moment we got her she’s been a retrieving nut. She’ll chase tennis balls, stuffed toys dang near anything you have in your hand. Ironically We got her as a family dog the kids can grow up with. We’ve considered breeding her since she’s such an awesome representative of the breed in virtually every way. I will say she’s highly food driven too. When I’m working with her we sometimes use food for motivation. Not always but sometimes. Keeps her attention pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a 4yo Boykin from a sir and dame from Dovewood kennels. My dog (Roux) wasn't excited about retreving right off either. I brought home quail wings and play with him. He chased but was never that interested. When Roux went to the trainer and was introduced to birds everything changed. He is a great hunting dog and as birdie as can be. Like CJ776 said. Give him time.

Comment

How to help Gun Dogs train themselves - Joan Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                              A couple of things to try. Always leave him wanting more. Stop when you say stop, not when he is done.
                              The bold is what I do after ever At 4 months old he is a puppy, their brains are so scatter brain. I wouldn't be real worried him being so young. Maturity in a dog is a huge thing for working dogs. Some dogs do not turn it on until they mature further. But, would work with him slowly and make it fun for him. Big praises.

Comment

Working...
                              X