25-06 bullet weight & type advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25-06 bullet weight & type advise needed

I recently purchased a Tikka T3X 25-06 and am trying to determine what grain bullet may be best for this.

It's got the standard 22.4" barrel and the rate of twist appears to be 1:10.

I was considering the 117 grain Hornady American Whitetail, but from what I'm reading lighter bullets may be better suited with the shorter barrel. This will be for whitetail and hogs, and shots will be anywhere from 50 yards to 300 yards.

You’ll likely get lots of different answers. I’m a fan of lighter/faster myself. 100 gr. Pills are what fly best out of my rifle so that’s what I stick with. Without overthinking it, just grab several different types of rounds and shoot the rifle. It will tell you what it prefers.

Comment

Ive been wondering why 25-06 doesnt get 140 grain projectiles even though its a 6.5mm and plenty of 6.5 CMs are 140 grain. Seems that 130 grain is the upper limit for 25-06. The 25-06 and 6.5 CM side by side published comparisons seem to weigh 140 gn for the CMs and 120ish gn for 25-06 and energy seems to shine down range for CMs 140 gn.

Good luck MrBuckman.

Comment

I use the Rem. Core lockets in 100gr. I've had good performance with them out 200 yd. Never had to shoot farther. When I bought my rifle (Ruger) I also purchased all the reloading dies & components but have never worked up a load since the Core lockets group really well in my gun.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
          You’ll likely get lots of different answers. I’m a fan of lighter/faster myself. 100 gr. Pills are what fly best out of my rifle so that’s what I stick with. Without overthinking it, just grab several different types of rounds and shoot the rifle. It will tell you what it prefers.
          For sure that's the plan, but I want to make sure if I do have to go lighter I'm using a bullet that kills quickly and efficiently. I was considering 117 grain Hornady American Whitetail, but if for instance 85 grain Winchester Silvertips are just as accurate and kill just as well, then so be it. I'm just leery of lighter grain bullets.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Ive been wondering why 25-06 doesnt get 140 grain projectiles even though its a 6.5mm and plenty of 6.5 CMs are 140 grain. Seems that 130 grain is the upper limit for 25-06. The 25-06 and 6.5 CM side by side published comparisons seem to weigh 140 gn for the CMs and 120ish gn for 25-06 and energy seems to shine down range for CMs 140 gn.

Good luck MrBuckman.
          Maybe one day I'll get a 24" barrel with a faster twist and larger bullets won't be a problem.

Really I just need to take the Hornadys I do have and go shoot it. I may be worrying about nothing. LOL
          Last edited by Etxbuckman; 02-07-2022, 10:15 AM.

Comment

It's all due to twist rates and why you do not see 140 grain bullets in 25 cals.

Starting to take form with berger offering 133/135 grain, but your standard twist rate will not work. You will need 1-7.5/8 twist.

Back to OP, 100-110 grain pills will work great!

Good luck MrBuckman.

Comment

Good luck MrBuckman.
              25-06 = .257 diameter projectile

6.5cm = .264 diameter projectile

Not the same

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                It's all due to twist rates and why you do not see 140 grain bullets in 25 cals.

Starting to take form with berger offering 133/135 grain, but your standard twist rate will not work. You will need 1-7.5/8 twist.

Back to OP, 100-110 grain pills will work great!
                Like Ra61 said I'd like to try some 100 grain Corelokts, but finding them is a problem. I should've bought some 110 grain Noslers two weeks ago when they were in stock. That was stupid on my part.

Comment

Berger makes the 135 gr LR Hybrid but your twist rate needs to be down to 1:7 or 1:7.5 to stabilize them. Also has the 115 VLD Hunting which is superb but would need a 1:8 for those. With that 1:10 twist you'll need a lighter bullet such as suggested above.

Comment

That doesn't answer the question, read what I wrote above on twist rates. You should see 25 cals get really interesting with fast twist barrels with offerings from blackjack (131) and Bergers (133/135).

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                    25-06 = .257 diameter projectile

6.5cm = .264 diameter projectile

Not the same

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                      That doesn't answer the question, read what I wrote above on twist rates. You should see 25 cals get really interesting with fast twist barrels with offerings from blackjack (131) and Bergers (133/135).
                      I agree, I was commenting on the quote in my post that stated the 25-06 was a 6.5 caliber.

Comment

Mine likes 100gr core locs and the American Whitetail 117’s….sub MOA on both….no real scientific evidence other than just shooting animals but my experience has me using the 117’s. Love me some 25-06

Comment

I would not get locked in on twist rates. I have a couple .223/5.56s that aren’t supposed to shoot 75 grain projectiles well but they do……very well.

Comment

.25/06 was intended to shoot fast and flat. Unless one is hunting game larger than whitetail deer and hogs, 100 grain is enough.

Comment

Mine prefers the 100 gr. CoreLoks and they are deadly. A body shot turns the insides to mush and there’s blood from the tip of the nose to the tail! Blood trails are easy to follow and short tracks as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X