Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion, Fisher Co.
Default Need recs- Caribou hunt before he's too old to do it.

I was hoping to book a hunt through the DSC expo (which got cancelled) where I could actually meet outfitters etc...

I've got a father figure who's hit 70yo. He's in great shape, very active but he's not going to get any younger.

I've got to get a hunt booked. Cost isn't an issue. I'm paying for it. I just want a place that's going to give us a high shot opportunity.

Any info on hunting Alaska, Canada, migration time lines etc.... Outfitter recommendations with references would be appreciated.

I have to get this done.
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

We hunted a diy caribou hunt in the king salmon area of Alaska during September
Tons of boo their. We had zero problems taking 4 big trophies between my uncle and I
Booked it through a air charter company in king salmon sorry can’t remember the name
Easy walking, and probably could have just sat in camp and shot out
Take some light fishing gear as some lakes have decent fishing for pike and other fishing

Branch river charter
Summer(:907) 246-3437 Winter 907) 248-3539
https://www.branchriverair.com

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-02-2021 at 08:42 AM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Mary
Administrator

Following along....this is a bucket list
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
It’s a bow hunters dream hunt!
At least the area we hunted, but they follow the herd migration
And our area was perfect for glass and stalk
Old 04-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

tagged. Also on the bucket list.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
Jmh05
Pope & Young

I've emailed a few random outfitters. I'll post them up after I get back.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

In Alaska, generally speaking, you book an air service and they take you out to an area and drop you off. The hunt itself is DIY. A good air charter knows where the caribou are and drops you off in areas that are historically successful.

Also, there are two kinds of air carriers. The most common fly you out in Super Cubs which are very weight restrictive. But, some also use Dehavilland Beavers or Otters, which are less so.

I ran the numbers a few years ago and came up with about $5000 per man for Super Cub hunt with two people or the same for one of the bigger planes with 5-6 people.

I don't know a good air service, but that information is pretty googleable.

I have always wanted to go to the North Slope and hunt the 40 Mile Herd, and that is what I ran the numbers for. Other areas may be more or less.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Iím looking more towards Canada with a fully guided outfitter. This is kind of a one shot deal for whom Iím taking. I donít want to cut corners. I want to make sure he can get his Caribou. Going in to do a DIY with no experience in that country is not something Iím willing to do for this first hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #9
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

following this
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Following. Bucket list for me as well.

Bump for ya.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I believe the place I used back in 2004 for my caribou hunt is Adventures Northwest out of Yellowknife. We took a float plane from there to one of their camps. It was on Little Martin Lake if I recall correctly. They did a really good job from start to finish. There were 10 total hunters in camp each week with 5 guides for the group. They broke the area around the lake into 5 quadrants. Each party of 2 hunters drew a number and that is the area you were assigned day 1. After that, you move clockwise each subsequent day to the next quadrant. It seemed like a very fair way to do it. Each day you would leave the camp via boat and head to your assigned area for the day. The guide would take us to the highest spot in the area and from there the glassing began. Once caribou were located we had to decide whether or not we could get in front of them before they passed. Not an easy chore most of the time.

My understanding is that very few hunters, as a percentage, each year get to experience the migration like you see on Nat Geo. During our hunt we would see small groups of 2-20 moving through. One day, we didnt see any at all. One other thing to think about is whether Canada is going to allow out of country hunters to enter this fall and if so what the protocol will be. I have a moose hunt tentatively schedule for Sept but Im not holding my breath it will happen this year.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

https://arrowheadoutfitters.com
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #13
PYBUCK
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Upton County

Book a hunt with Jim Shockey, Jeremy. It will be unforgettable and top notch. Not sure on price but I bet he ain't cheap.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 01:33 PM   #14
trophyhunter01
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Look at mountain caribou hunts as well. Caribou are crazy expensive since a lot of areas are shut down. Another one is in Iceland, no migration price Is in line with others last time I looked.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #15
Jmh05
Pope & Young

I'm looking for 2022 to make sure I've got time to plan. This year I've got trips planned for Montana and New Mexico. 2023 We've book Mule deer and are about to sign our hunting contract for Africa.

Here's the people I've researched and e-mailed:

https://arcticnorthguides.com

https://www.souwesteroutfitting.com/caribouhunting

I'll let y'all know what or if I get a response back.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #16
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYBUCK View Post
Book a hunt with Jim Shockey, Jeremy. It will be unforgettable and top notch. Not sure on price but I bet he ain't cheap.
I bet it isn't cheap either!
Old 04-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #17
MIHunter
Pope & Young

tagged as well!
MIHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #18
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32drawlength View Post
I emailed them. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #19
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmh05 View Post
I emailed them. Thank you.

Yes sir

Our haul road hunt was 100% DIY, hard as hell but successful making it one of the most rewarding hunts Iíve done
As we left the area we talked to guys who had much easier success with fly in tactics into herd areas...probably was a $2k flight expense which would be worth it
Good luck
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #20
chocolatelabs
Four Point

a few of these websites don't list prices. what are they running for a carribou hunt in AK?
chocolatelabs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #21
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32drawlength View Post
Yes sir

Our haul road hunt was 100% DIY, hard as hell but successful making it one of the most rewarding hunts I’ve done
As we left the area we talked to guys who had much easier success with fly in tactics into herd areas...probably was a $2k flight expense which would be worth it
Good luck
X2 our hunt was 100% a blast and rewarding, just me and my uncle spending time together, no guide to have to socialize with

We should almost think about doing a TBH group hunt , 6 guys can fit in a otter or beaver, 2 in a Cessna 206 float plane ( seems to be a bucket list hunt)

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-02-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #22
blackfoot1
Four Point

Hunt In: Alaska

I've hunted the Brooks Range and the 40 mile herd out of Chicken, AK. Used Brooks range Aviation, DIY, 7 day trip. Drive to pump stations #5, then 2 flights out to camp from Bettles and 2 flights back. In 2018, the cost was $2,800. I hunted boo last year, but my buddy owned the Super Cub and it was still $300/hour to operate. I worked with a guide down at Icy Bay this last September/October. He is a registered guide in the Brooks Range if you want his number. Problem with some of that northern area is the tundra, it's like walking on 3" of wet sponge, the tussocs suck too! The earlier you go the more mosquitos to deal with. Since he is older, might look at some river trips?? I love chasing caribou! I get to start chasing Brown Bears in a few weeks!
blackfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

I'd be in on a group hunt. Might have to quit my job, but I'm about to retire anyway.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #24
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Itís a bow hunters dream hunt!
At least the area we hunted, but they follow the herd migration
And our area was perfect for glass and stalk
I like it. My bucket list too!
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #25
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

X2 dream hunt.

Like peas and carrots, bowhunting and caribou just go together. Good luck OP, will be following your hunt.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 07:06 PM   #26
ag111
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria, TX

Did a hunt two years ago with 40 mile Air out of Tok, AK. Wasn’t able to join the same group this past year but they went and had a great trip. Everyone got an animal both times. Can’t say enough good things about Leif and the operation they run. Simply phenomenal. Tok Air Service is another one to look at. Know some people who have hunted with them and they recommend them as well. Pm me if you have any questions.
ag111 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 08:50 PM   #27
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Shockey's rate with the estimate of airfare and EVERYTHING is about $22K.

I found one for about $5k, but not sure the details. I'm supposed to call them on Monday.

It's crazy prices, considering I spoke with our outfitter for Africa and it's cheaper to fly there and kill a dozen animals than one caribou as it's looking.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:30 AM   #28
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

This dang thread has taken me through the rabbit hole again, as about twice a year I dream of hunting Alaska and do a ton of research staying up all night. The problem with most these outfitters is they all have a bad review online if you look hard enough. The good ones do not need to advertise, they are booked way in advance.
That arrowhead outfitter looked legit on their website and social media that someone mentioned but man they have some horrible reviews. Lots of these outfitters are basically just charging you 3500-7k to take you on a little plane ride and drop you off where the animals are suppose to be. They are booking as many clients as possible and lots of them do not even live in Alaska.
This is the kind of hunt I want to do, don’t need a guide helping me, I just need someone to get me near the animals.
The 40 mile outfitter is very highly spoken of but booked years in advance from what I’ve read. It’s basically a lottery system to just get the opportunity to go with them.
Decisions decisions. Sorry for the rant, not trying to hijack. Hope you find the right outfitter
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #29
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
This dang thread has taken me through the rabbit hole again, as about twice a year I dream of hunting Alaska and do a ton of research staying up all night. The problem with most these outfitters is they all have a bad review online if you look hard enough. The good ones do not need to advertise, they are booked way in advance.
That arrowhead outfitter looked legit on their website and social media that someone mentioned but man they have some horrible reviews. Lots of these outfitters are basically just charging you 3500-7k to take you on a little plane ride and drop you off where the animals are suppose to be. They are booking as many clients as possible and lots of them do not even live in Alaska.
This is the kind of hunt I want to do, donít need a guide helping me, I just need someone to get me near the animals.
The 40 mile outfitter is very highly spoken of but booked years in advance from what Iíve read. Itís basically a lottery system to just get the opportunity to go with them.
Decisions decisions. Sorry for the rant, not trying to hijack. Hope you find the right outfitter
My first trip I did the same research, then worried, even worried during the trip , our air charter and hunt was very good, they put us in a massive amount of caribou, internet has plenty of trolls and muckrakers IMO
Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #30
James
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
My first trip I did the same research, then worried, even worried during the trip , our air charter and hunt was very good, they put us in a massive amount of caribou, internet has plenty of trolls and muckrakers IMO
Good point. Looking up who you went with now and they are not booking caribou hunts due to low numbers this year it says online. I do Like their style though and this is the kind of hunt Iím looking for.
I would Very much be in for a group TBH hunt. I may even talk to them about moose.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #31
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
This is the kind of hunt I want to do, donít need a guide helping me, I just need someone to get me near the animals.
The 40 mile outfitter is very highly spoken of but booked years in advance from what Iíve read. Itís basically a lottery system to just get the opportunity to go with them.
If you donít want to do this trip even more...DONT watch Steven Rinellaís episode on Caribou hunting there. We watched last night and itís now up a notch on the Bucket List!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #32
James
Ten Point

Quote:
If you donít want to do this trip even more...DONT watch Steven Rinellaís episode on Caribou hunting there. We watched last night and itís now up a notch on the Bucket List!
Yup Iíve seen it. Justin and I have been talking about getting something on the calendar quite a bit. Tired of just talking about it, ready to make it happen!
Old 04-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #33
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Good point. Looking up who you went with now and they are not booking caribou hunts due to low numbers this year it says online. I do Like their style though and this is the kind of hunt Iím looking for.
I would Very much be in for a group TBH hunt. I may even talk to them about moose.
I saw some good moose , on my trips I would get a guide for moose, unless doing a float trip, very different from caribou
Old 04-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #34
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

I have been on a hunt in Nunavut a few years ago for central barren ground caribou. In 2017 I shot a really nice caribou. I also went in 2015 and did not kill anything. The guys I originally booked the hunts through are not in business anymore, but I think the Little Duck Lodge might be handling it now. I hunted at Baralzon lake. I have not been monitoring the caribou herd there the past few years but I think they were having problems with the herd being in decline and not moving down to the areas where the hunts were being conducted. I am not sure if they are doing hunts out of Manitoba/Nunavut now or not. If I was going back my 2 concerns would be 1) will the animals be there? 2) with the pandemic will the hunt even take place? Those might be hard questions to get answered.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #35
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I’d be interested in a TBH hunt for 2022
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #36
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Get a list of air charters and start making calls. Those guys fly over the herds all the time and will know exactly where to be. If it comes down to it they can always just fly you in front of a herd and drop you off. Honestly there is no need to go guided unless you feel like camping and surviving on your own for a week to ten days is not do-able. There’s numerous great air charters/DIY outfitters but most are booked 2-4 years in advance and it’s not even worth mentioning them, although talking to them they might know somebody they would recommend since they are booked up.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top