Fishing in Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig G View Post
    Would not recommend a fishing trip out of Maui. Number 1 you will not keep your fish if you do catch any. Number 2 like the others have said it more of a boat ride than a fishing trip. The fishing off Maui is very tough any time of the year. I would recommend doing any other activity as there is so much to do over there.

This was my exact experience fishing in Maui! Very expensive boat ride! I enjoyed talking to the captain and seeing Lanai island from the boat. I want to go back and hunt Lanai

Comment

If you are in Maui, it is mandatory you eat at Mama's Fish House !! You don't need to go fishing- just enjoy eating fish. Everything there is local catch and/or locally grown.

Also agree with the post about making the trek on The Road To Hana- what an interesting experience.

Comment

Caught a huge tuna in Maui about 15 years ago but the dang sharks did a number on it before I got it in the boat. Other than that it was a boring boat ride.

Comment

My wife and I went to Maui for our first anniversary in October of 2003. We never got a single bite. A nice 4 hour boat ride. I was on a charter with several other people that had never been out on open water before (Kansas, New Mexico, etc...). They all got roaring sick. Thank God my wife decided she wanted to go shopping for souvenirs, instead of "fishing."

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamL View Post
            Not on topic but you have to take the Road to Hana. Half way up there will be a small hut that sells banana bread. I think it's called "half way to Hana". You'll see some boar's heads mounted on the home in the back. I hope it is still open. BEST STUFF ANYWHERE! Like crack that stuff is sooo good. The drive is a white knuckle event, but very well worth it for the views.
            Best banana bread Ever too!

Comment

Get up in the wee hours of the morning and make the drive up to the valcano and watch the sun come up. If you’re blessed enough the clouds will be just below you! Fare warning though, dress very warm and take blankets. We were there in June and the temp was 24 up there.

We were also warned about the fishing before we went and the locals will tell you the same thing!
              Attached Files

Comment

I asked locals about the fishing as I was considering it and they recommended to not waste the time. Take a charter off south padre some other time.

Road to Hana was good - rented a mustang convertible and hauled a s s all the way and back. My wife was dizzy from all the twists and turns, wore her out.
                WARNING - coconut at the shack on the side of the road was good but ate at a food truck outside of hana and that was a BIG mistake. I lost 10 lbs in 12 hours and lost valuable play time Plan for other food, not the food truck

Comment

Originally posted by txhunt7 View Post
                  I asked locals about the fishing as I was considering it and they recommended to not waste the time. Take a charter off south padre some other time.

Road to Hana was good - rented a mustang convertible and hauled a s s all the way and back. My wife was dizzy from all the twists and turns, wore her out.
                  WARNING - coconut at the shack on the side of the road was good but ate at a food truck outside of hana and that was a BIG mistake. I lost 10 lbs in 12 hours and lost valuable play time Plan for other food, not the food truck
                  Thanks for the heads up!!

Comment

Will echo most sentiments above. Was in Maui last year right before Covid hit and when talking to the locals all I heard was how the waters were all overfished. Hanging out at the boat docks you didn't see a lot of fish on the bragging boards either.

I recommend spending your time snorkeling at Honolua Bay instead. Pretty spectacular little spot.

Comment

Working...
                    X