No announcement yet.

ATF has made their ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So hypothetically...since the $200 fee is waived right now...could I get tax stamps for say 3 or 4 lowers and build SBR's from all of them on the ATF's dime? Or is it just for a current pistol configuration gun you already own?

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
      So hypothetically...since the $200 fee is waived right now...could I get tax stamps for say 3 or 4 lowers and build SBR's from all of them on the ATF's dime? Or is it just for a current pistol configuration gun you already own?

A few things on this. To be eligible for the free stamp you have to prove ownership of the firearm prior to January 13th. You also have to show that it is in a restricted configuration. IF you do that then the stamps can be filed to you as an individual only and not into a trust. I’d you so desire to have those items on a trust you will have to pay a regular stamp or later form 4 them to yourself and again pay the $200 stamp per.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ATF has made their ruling

Originally posted by QuackHunter View Post
        A few things on this. To be eligible for the free stamp you have to prove ownership of the firearm prior to January 13th. You also have to show that it is in a restricted configuration. IF you do that then the stamps can be filed to you as an individual only and not into a trust. I’d you so desire to have those items on a trust you will have to pay a regular stamp or later form 4 them to yourself and again pay the $200 stamp per.

Where are you seeing that you can’t file as a trust? Not sure how they expect you to prove ownership either.

Comment

Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., introduced a bill to eliminate the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) following a controversial ruling that tightens regulations on pistol stabilizing braces.

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
            Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., introduced a bill to eliminate the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) following a controversial ruling that tightens regulations on pistol stabilizing braces.
            Someone should tell Matt Gaetz to do something productive......

Comment

Unfortunately, I had all my rods in my boat and it was lost in a hunting accident,,, all was lost in the woods,,, or how ever that saying goes....

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post

This is what I am wanting to know and I am seeing lots of people on both sides for this (the ATF document however says what you are saying ).... The ruling is BS and more infringement and should be fought. I will however try and SBR my EPC (no stock or assembled and waiting to purchase the rest to file) and want to get another 300blk lower because I want free stamps... NO plans of converting any pistols but if they are handing out free stamps I am all for it (if this thing ever gets more legs) lol

Also complained to my rep also about the ruling.
                Last edited by 150class; 01-18-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

So is the brace ruled illegal or an AR pistol?

In other words if I had an AR pistol with a brace, could you just take the brace off and be good?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

In other words if I had an AR pistol with a brace, could you just take the brace off and be good?
                    The brace by itself is not illegal. They have just decided that a Brace is now considered a Stock. So an AR Pistol with a Brace is now considered an SBR because the brace = stock. So they give the option to register as SBR or reconfigure it back to what they consider a pistol

An AR Pistol with just a smooth buffer tube or foam sleeve is still considered a pistol

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

It's all about intent. They are saying having a brace or anything that aids in shouldering = intent...maybe. A buffer tube will likely get you in trouble. Or maybe it won't. You won't know until they decide how much they like/dislike you. It's all intentionally clear as mud.

The best course of action right now is to wait for the rule to actually be published and let the lawsuits hit. I don't own any "pistols" or "braces", but I would not be lining up to comply with this jumbled up cluster just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                        Where are you seeing that you can’t file as a trust? Not sure how they expect you to prove ownership either.

The Calloused Life on Instagram: "Because curiosity got the best of me... I logged on to the ATF eFile system to see what they were saying about the new "ruling" they just passed down to us Peasants. Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. This is not legal advice. This interpretation is my own. Scroll through to see the screen shots. First, I do not agree with the massive overreach of the ATF and feel that this unconstitutional ruling will be overturned in the courts. That being said, IF you were thinking about registering your lawfully bought stabilizing braced pistols AND you figured you would add it to your trust, take a quick look see through the attached screen shots I took from the ATFs eFile site. It doesn't appear you can directly register to a trust UNLESS you are willing to provide "evidence" that the trust contained the pistol prior to 1/13/23. That evidence would require a schedule of everything in said trust. Really? Overreach much? You would also be agreeing to owning an "illegal" SBR prior to the above mentioned date by declaring and agreeing that you owned a braced "rifle" with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. So essentially, you would be incriminating yourself. Interpret that as you will. All that to be exempt to paying an unconstitutional tax... but, if you want to put it into a trust later, it appears you would have to pay the tax on a Form 4 to transfer it to the trust... Crown: Peasant, that is illegal for you to own, you can't have that. However, pay us $200 and we will put you on a list and then you can own it... and we will track you. Extortion much? If you or I did that we would be considered... criminals. Go figure. But that is what they are making you. One day you are a law-abiding citizen... the next, you are a felon. All in the name of public safety. I will not be at SHOT Show this year. Those of you who are, please stop by the ATF booth and respectfully voice your opinion. #atf #pistol #brace #shotshow #constitution #2A #2nd #1st #overreach #tax #ruling"
                        218 likes, 15 comments - The Calloused Life (@thecallousedlife) on Instagram: "Because curiosity got the best of me... I logged on to the ATF eFile system to see what they were..."

Comment

Also just to add a thought to this for everyone considering filing a stamp. At current rates we’re seeing 6 month returns on eforms. Say even 5% of the estimated 10-40 million brace owners files for one of these “free” stamps, what do we expect to see happen to turnaround times. In addition to this are you deemed a felon if your stamp isn’t approved in the 120 (115 remaining) days or are you “safe” once you register your gun.

Truly and honestly I expect to see a lot of opposition to the ruling in the courts and I’d like to be optimistic and say it will get shot down based on recent court decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post

They want to see your schedule A lmao. NO WAY. I don’t even provide my schedule A on any NFA purchases. Never have. They get my trust. Anyone wants to see my schedule A has to come ask. Or kiss my schedule Ace. I’ve got a bunch of registered NFA stuff. As do a lot here. But this is a clown show and forced registration to a T.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              So a gun shop near me sent this email...........I used them once for a transfer and ended up on their email list. Trying to decide how to respond to the email
                              ATF Pistol Brace Ban is Official!
                              Find out how it affects you and what you can do.

It’s finally here. The ATF Ruling is now final. I’m sure you’ve already received notices from many pro-2A websites you subscribe to including our friends at Silencer Shop. But there’s a few MAJOR things they’ve left out (maybe because they don’t know yet). And that’s why you shop with us! We have the details…and you’re not going to like them. But we’re here to help.

In short, and as you’ve likely read by now, the ruling goes to great lengths to effectively ban most AR Pistol configurations. There are ways to comply, but they are clear that a violation, as judged solely by them, will be considered a felony worth a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

The solution? Use our e-form 1 service to SBR your AR Pistol and don’t worry about it! Now here’s the rub:

Per every article you’ve received, you’ve seen they are offering a 120-day grace period to convert your pistol to an SBR. They’re even willing to waive the $200 tax stamp! Right? That’s what everyone is saying.

WRONG! (Mostly)

To get the waiver, here are the requirements (that you don’t discover until you start the form 1 process):

The AR Pistol must have been a pistol by Jan 13, 2023.

You, the applicant must have owned it before then (so much for these clearance sale pistol lowers).

(This is the real sneaky one) If you want to register it in a trust, you must be able to prove (by way of notary) that you already put the pistol in the trust prior to Jan 13, 2023!

If you owned it before Jan 13, 2023, expect that you’ll be registering it as an individual and putting your actual name engraved on the receiver if you want the $200 tax stamp waived.

“But I want it in my trust!!”

You can still register your AR Pistol in the trust. You just don’t get the waiver on the fee. You’ll pay $200 just like you ever would to register an SBR.

That said, our e-form 1s have been moving at lightning speed taking just 10-12 days for approval. Realize there will be a FLOOD of applications to SBR the AR Pistols so, like the “90-day eform 4s” that take 8 months, realize your eform 1 could take significantly longer. At least you get to hold on to your AR Pistol while you wait. Maybe. They haven’t been clear on the 120-day grace period if that means that as long as you have it in process then it’s not illegal to possess it while waiting.

Contact us today to get in the queue to start your eform-1. The process can take an hour or more in-house plus the engraving after the approval.

To start the process, email us your request for e-form 1 information at sales@.net. We will send you our starter kit. Keep in mind, we can get you the $200 waiver, but it will almost certainly require you registering as an individual. You can always transfer it to your trust later…for $200. Thanks ATF.

Will this be overturned eventually? Maybe. The bumpstocks only took 4 years. In the meantime, hide your dog under you bed. At least if you register it as an SBR you can take off that silly brace and put a real stock on it.

You heard it here first.

See you soon.
                              WTH gun shop sent this? I wouldn't ever step foot or spend another dime with them again.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Also just to add a thought to this for everyone considering filing a stamp. At current rates we’re seeing 6 month returns on eforms. Say even 5% of the estimated 10-40 million brace owners files for one of these “free” stamps, what do we expect to see happen to turnaround times. In addition to this are you deemed a felon if your stamp isn’t approved in the 120 (115 remaining) days or are you “safe” once you register your gun.

Truly and honestly I expect to see a lot of opposition to the ruling in the courts and I’d like to be optimistic and say it will get shot down based on recent court decisions.

You have already been deemed a felon.....they are just giving you a pass.

On their frequently asked questions, they respond to that and say if you apply for the tax before 120 days you are covered.

I haven't seen where this is published on the Federal Register yet. Is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X