ATF has made their ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF has made their ruling

Today, the Department of Justice announced it has submitted to the Federal Register the “Stabilizing Braces” Final Rule, which makes clear that when manufacturers, dealers, and individuals use stabilizing braces to convert pistols into rifles with a barrel of less than 16 inches, commonly referred to as a short-barreled rifles, they must comply with the laws that regulate those rifles, including the National Firearms Act (NFA). In April 2021, at an event with President Biden, the Attorney General directed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to address the issue of stabilizing braces.

heads up gentlemen. so much for "shall not be infringed"

Come and get it I’m not turning in anything

Comment

Looks like you can register it like a suppressor but don’t have to pay the tax.

Comment

......which makes clear that when manufacturers, dealers, and individuals use stabilizing braces to convert pistols into rifles with a barrel of less than 16 inches, commonly referred to as a short-barreled rifles, they must comply with the laws that regulate those rifles......

what if it's built from a pistol from the jump? And I thought it was always illegal to turn a rifle to a pistol?

Comment

So I can just remove the brace and I'm cool. Or can I just leave the brace and add a 16" barrel? Never been a fan of the foam sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderpig1776 View Post
            Come and get it I’m not turning in anything

I agree and the end of that barrel gets really hot on that end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Looks like you can register it like a suppressor but don’t have to pay the tax.
              Where are you seeing that??

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

what if it's built from a pistol from the jump? And I thought it was always illegal to turn a rifle to a pistol?
                Aaaaand, what if the firearm in question is chambered in a pistol caliber?

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                  Aaaaand, what if the firearm in question is chambered in a pistol caliber?
                  In reality what makes a pistol caliber?

For years rifles and pistols where chambered same so you only had to carry one caliber ammo. The thing reads some some FJB flunky that don't know 223 from 22lr wrote it

"More destructive power" I'd like the author to explain bullet velocity in a short barrel vs. 16"
                  Last edited by Quackerbox; 01-13-2023, 04:56 PM.

Comment

......which makes clear that when manufacturers, dealers, and individuals use stabilizing braces to convert pistols into rifles with a barrel of less than 16 inches, commonly referred to as a short-barreled rifles, they must comply with the laws that regulate those rifles......

What if it's built from a pistol from the jump? And I thought it was always illegal to turn a rifle to a pistol?
                    All these guns that were made complete / shipped with braces (under16") are registered as a pistol from the mfg.

Boy, the fireworks are gonna be good...I sold my cmmg a few months ago, but would just register it & put a real stock on it if I still had it.

Caliber is irrelevant.

Comment

In reality what makes a pistol caliber?

For years rifles and pistols where chambered same so you only had to carry one caliber ammo. The thing reads some some FJB flunky that don't know 223 from 22lr wrote it

"More destructive power" I'd like the author to explain bullet velocity in a short barrel vs. 16"
                      I have absolutely no answer to that, just trying to make sense of yet another BS ruling by an alphabet agency.

Going to seem pretty difficult to prosecute people on this though, when the braces had been previously deemed legal and likely hundreds of thousands were sold under that interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        All these guns that were made complete / shipped with braces (under16") are registered as a pistol from the mfg.

Boy, the fireworks are gonna be good...I sold my cmmg a few months ago, but would just register it & put a real stock on it if I still had it.

Caliber is irrelevant.
                        Every brace gun I've been around was a kit or built from scratch. Lowers are stamped multi or 223//5.56. The yellow forms could have said rifle or pistol depending on the seller. Being we don't have a state registration in Texas, an E trace is the only way to find out who has what. And that don't really make a hill of beans sense

And i understand caliber don't matter. Just conversation sake

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                        I have absolutely no answer to that, just trying to make sense of yet another BS ruling by an alphabet agency.

Going to seem pretty difficult to prosecute people on this though, when the braces had been previously deemed legal and likely hundreds of thousands were sold under that interpretation.
                        Absolutely

Comment

Where are you seeing that??

“ The rule goes into effect on the date of publication in the Federal Register. The rule allows for a 120-day period for manufacturers, dealers, and individuals to register tax-free any existing NFA short-barreled rifles covered by the rule.”

Comment

Every brace gun I've been around was a kit or built from scratch. Lowers are stamped multi or 223//5.56. The yellow forms could have said rifle or pistol depending on the seller. Being we don't have a state registration in Texas, an E trace is the only way to find out who has what. And that don't really make a hill of beans sense
                            Lots of mfg like Palmetto State & other AR mfg's (also other models) are shipped with braces as pistols...gonna put a real hurt on Co's like CMMG who specialize I reckon.

CMMG’s Banshee line of pistols and short barrel rifles offer maximum portability and concealment, available in 3 series.

I have transferred several pistol lowers w/ braces from Palmetto over the years...those that just order the receiver is considered just that until it's final configuration, then it's designated to her build.

Thank you Harry...missed it.

Comment

Lots of mfg like Palmetto State & other AR mfg's (also other models) are shipped with braces as pistols...gonna put a real hurt on Co's like CMMG who specialize I reckon.

CMMG’s Banshee line of pistols and short barrel rifles offer maximum portability and concealment, available in 3 series.

I have transferred several pistol lowers w/ braces from Palmetto over the years...those that just order the receiver is considered just that until it's final configuration, then it's designated to her build.

Thank you Harry...missed it.

^^^Yep. And they were previously approved to be manufactured and sold in that configuration.

I’ve thrown that one on here a few times before and that would be one of the CMMG offerings Artos is likely mentioning.

The only changes to that “rifle” from how it was shipped would be the sling, sight and riser the sight is mounted on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X