No announcement yet.

$65 osb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices will come down when the interest rates go up and people stop building.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
      For reference, what was it when prices were "normal"?
      Granted we don't build houses that are economically driven in any way shape or form but we've been as low as $11 / sq ft for a lumber pack. I would say more typical for us would be $13-$14. I would guess production homes at the lumber low's from 15ish months ago would have been down around $5 / sq ft.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
        Prices will come down when the interest rates go up and people stop building.
        I don't think so. Historically you are right BUT we are dealing with hyper inflation in every sector **** near. My guess is people are going to keep buying because they need safe places to park large sums of cash to protect themselves from the diminishing value of the dollar. Even with rising rates, where will people want to park their cash? The stock market is very volatile and the bears have been screaming "correction coming" from the rooftops.

The housing crash of 2008 means that we are already low on inventory when measuring the 2010- 2020 decade and the amount of houses built. I think they could raise rates a full 2% right now and it wouldn't do a **** thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

In the middle of building a bow blind that was supposed to be from lumber. Got as far as the floor gonna wait to see if prices start to decrease. If not I’ll just finish it out with metal.

Comment

$65 osb

[quote=BlackoutRam2500;15603780]I don't think so. Historically you are right BUT we are dealing with hyper inflation in every sector **** near. My guess is people are going to keep buying because they need safe places to park large sums of cash to protect themselves from the diminishing value of the dollar. Even with rising rates, where will people want to park their cash? The stock market is very volatile and the bears have been screaming "correction coming" from the rooftops.

The housing crash of 2008 means that we are already low on inventory when measuring the 2010- 2020 decade and the amount of houses built. I think they could raise rates a full 2% right now and it wouldn't do a **** thing.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk[/

Inflation does appear to be present, definitely agree but seems reversible if America’s supply chains can catch up..

Stock market has seen more volatility but investing is the only way to beat inflation.

‘08 happened due to bad loans and builders just building away saying “the people will come and buy”, we have the opposite situation right now with way more buyers than available properties for sale and builders are trying to catch up.

The “stock market will see a down turn” crowd sure missed out on a lot of money in 2011-2020. Each year, practically, was a new record high. If you didn’t invest due to this, you lost. That decade forged a lot of millionaires.

I agree with you on rising rates being slow to stop this train we have but I think it might tap the breaks at least a bit and pose a reality check to those willing to listen.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by whitetailtrail; 05-05-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Price went up again today- I work at an OSB manufacturing plant. We have gone past stupidly high prices to insanely high prices.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                We're selling standard 7/16" 4x8 OSB @ $45 right now and literally can't get/keep enough. If you can find a truckload on the open market, it sells @ premium of $400-$600 over Random Lengths. I heard yesterday that a large chain lumber yard bought multiple trucks of 7/16" OSB Radiant-Barrier decking @ $2000/M ($64/sheet). That's crazy....
                Right now 7/16 is selling for $1450/M. In the past we thought $400/M was insane.

Comment

Sounds like the loggers need to find a way to go direct to the consumer if they are getting squeezed by the middle men like that.

Comment

At least you can still GET lumber.

I've got brick on order that I can't get until November, and some I've been trying to get since January. It's beginning to make my physically ill dealing with it, and not having any answers.

Comment

Talked a builder super for Taylor Morrison homes he said they were paying 70.00 a sheet for OSB when they can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                        Right now 7/16 is selling for $1450/M. In the past we thought $400/M was insane.
                        Agreed. At this point, I can't even imagine what the top of the market will be.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        At least you can still GET lumber.....
                        Unfortunately that's not the case with us. We're having to turn away homeowners, remodelers, and "new" builders from sales of some allocated material so we'll have enough for our loyal builders.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post

Unfortunately that's not the case with us. We're having to turn away homeowners, remodelers, and "new" builders from sales of some allocated material so we'll have enough for our loyal builders.
                          Yes sir, I am as well. I've done some "culling" as well....some that felt good to let go. But I'm still struggling to get brick in a reasonable amount of time for the people I want to help the most. The worst part is not having any answers. I've been in this business my whole life, and never seen anything like this. It's miserable to go to work every day.

Comment

If prices do not drop....does this not open the door for entrepreneur/innovation to come in and create a comparable product for much much cheaper? (I'm not in this industry so I do not understand the product).

Comment

How do metal studs compare in price
                              ?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                If prices do not drop....does this not open the door for entrepreneur/innovation to come in and create a comparable product for much much cheaper? (I'm not in this industry so I do not understand the product).
                                OSB is basically cheap plywood, I'm in the brick business. What it SHOULD open the door for is newer/bigger/faster manufacturing facilities. I can't speak for the OSB industry, but the government, and all of its environazis, make that a very slow, very difficult, and EXTREMELY expensive task in the brick industry, even with unprecedented demand. (you can thank the likes of the Sierra Club for that) It's really the only thing they are good at, holding back progress.

Plus, we'll be in a bust by the time a new plant comes on line.

Comment

Working...
                                X