Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workbench top question for the wood working gurus

Good morning,

I want to replace the top of my workbench with a new piece of plywood. I want to leave the existing top and fasten the new top to it, but I want to do it without any exposed screws. I use it for all kinds of things including my reloading set ups. I plan on gluing it with wood glue or liquid nails, but I also want to screw it down for extra strength. How do I go about that? Thanks!

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
    Good morning,

I want to replace the top of my workbench with a new piece of plywood. I want to leave the existing top and fasten the new top to it, but I want to do it without any exposed screws. I use it for all kinds of things including my reloading set ups. I plan on gluing it with wood glue or liquid nails, but I also want to screw it down for extra strength. How do I go about that? Thanks!
    Glue it and then screw it from underneath with the right length screws??? Kinda like a Formica countertop???

Comment

I would use countersink screws, something like this:

Comment

1 1/4" screws from the bottom. Wood glue not liquid nails and I would get one of those $0.99 throw away paintbrushes to spread the glue evenly. Easy

Comment

It depends on what your existing top is composed of/thickness. Why not screw from the top and cover the heads with wood filler and sand smooth if screwing from the bottom is a problem.

Comment

The existing top is plywood as well. My wife bought a big piece of fancy plywood a couple f years ago and I want to use it for a new top to my reloading/workbench. I don't remember the thickness though.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
              Good morning,

Wood glue is stronger than screws. Screws would only hold it down for the glue to dry. If you glue you can never replace it.

Can you screw from the underside?

Personally, all my workbench tops are MDF and are screwed so they can be replaced when the glue, drill holes and saw cuts in the tops get to be too much.

Might consider throwing on some hardwood to edge the plywood too.

Post a picture of the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                Wood glue is stronger than screws. Screws would only hold it down for the glue to dry. If you glue you can never replace it.

Can you screw from the underside?

Personally, all my workbench tops are MDF and are screwed so they can be replaced when the glue, drill holes and saw cuts in the tops get to be too much.

Might consider throwing on some hardwood to edge the plywood too.

Post a picture of the bench.
                I think I'm going from the underside with screws. I'v3e got a bog bottle of gorilla wood glue. I had planned on going around the outside and trim it out, then sand and stain it.

Comment

I used 1/2" hardwood plywood. Brushed on glue then clamped it all around the edges and put weights in the middle. Once dried I sanded the edges then sealed it. It has held up well.
                  Last edited by jerp; 09-22-2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Don't screw it down, screw it up! Just don't screw it up!

Wood glue, as well as screwing it up into the wood using the right length screws should suffice.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I made my top from doubled-up 3/4" plywood, glued together, and the ends "capped" with 2x4s. I then attached it to the frame from the bottom:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWYbtvh9_Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWYbtvh9_Q[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmzTOgosHE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmzTOgosHE[/ame]

I hope this helps.

Comment

Best work bench top is a commercial solid core door if you can get your hands on one. Strong as heck, won't sag, and most of the time free if you can catch them demoing a building.

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                          Glue it and then screw it from underneath with the right length screws??? Kinda like a Formica countertop???
                          I wouldn’t see why anyone would try anything other than this method.

Comment

Working...
                          X