No announcement yet.

Arrow opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want higher FOC you have to start with a really low GPI shaft or you just end up lobbing telephone poles on rainbow trajectories.... now if that's your thing you can start with about any arrow shaft, but lets say you want to keep a reasonable trajectory.

I'd start looking at Victory VAP, Victory VAP TKO, Easton Axis Long Range, and Black Eagle X-Impact. All of these are relatively light gpi micro arrows. The downside is they are micro which some people don't want to hassle with. Anything north of 9gpi is going to make getting any "higher" foc difficult.

This year I'm shooting at 300 VAP TKO with a 50gr outsert, and a 150 gr head. 26.5" carbon-to-carbon out of a 72# bow with a 27.5" DL. They are right around 280 fps, 500gr, quiet, and pack a nice thump.... without watching my arrow at 30 yards look like a high school hail mary pass.

Comment

I'm shooting a Mathews Triax at 28.5". Just got back from South Africa and the arrows I used were Gold Tips Kinetic Kaos. Using 125 grain heads and 30 grain insert I was at 550 grains and had 17% FOC. I had pass throughs on all animals except my Kudo but I hit high in the shoulder blade and it lodged in the opposite should. None of the arrow broke either. They are .204" diameter and have a metal sleeve of the end which I think are vital for all smaller diameter arrows. You can get them off Black Ovis for pretty decent pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
        Diameter really has nothing to do with penetration unless you're speaking of field tips in foam.

This is not correct, shaft to ferrule ratio has a pretty profound impact on penetration. It doesn’t matter how much smaller the shaft is just as long as it’s smaller than the ferrule diameter. Conversely, if the shaft is larger than the ferrule additional drag is created and penetration will be lost.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          This is not correct, shaft to ferrule ratio has a pretty profound impact on penetration. It doesn’t matter how much smaller the shaft is just as long as it’s smaller than the ferrule diameter. Conversely, if the shaft is larger than the ferrule additional drag is created and penetration will be lost.

[emoji1662]
          It seems as though the hole the broadhead makes is a lot larger hole than the arrow shaft no?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It seems as though the hole the broadhead makes is a lot larger hole than the arrow shaft no?

Mine is… by a LOT! Lol

Comment

Drag is drag, anything that you can do to reduce it will aid in penetration.

[emoji1662]

Comment

How much faster is a small diameter at say 20 yards than the standard diameter? Same weight of course

Has there been a test on this?

Comment

Easton Axis and Easton FMJ are two tried and proven shafts. Use 75 gr. brass HIT insert and 125 gr. BH's. You will have to do some experimenting to find the right spined shaft for you bow set up.

Comment

the diameter will not effect the flight speed at 20 yard enough to matter. The diameter matters when penetrating an animal. A small amount of taper from a greater diameter to a smaller diameter from front to back is beneficial to penetration. Ashbybowhunting.org has some good information on all of the stuff youre talking about wanting to do. Ill be bouncing to grizzlystik.com also will custom set up your arrows for you to 650 grains if you'd like to go with them.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                      Drag is drag, anything that you can do to reduce it will aid in penetration.

[emoji1662]
                      Maybe somebody will do a test and write a paper comparing the difference in penetration from micro diameter shaft vs a standard shaft behind a broad head in animals. Of course, both shafts need to have equal weight, foc, and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
                        My current setup:
                        Bowtech Revolt X 28.5", 66lbs
                        Three 2" Rapt-X
                        Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300s
                        100gr brass insert
                        125gr SEVR 2.0/125gr TOA 1 3/16
                        Total weight 520gr
                        265fps and 81lbs of KE, 20% FOC

I think this setup is good enough for any animal I'm going to chase, with the largest on the list Elk/Moose. That said, 95% of the time it will be hunting whitetail under 40 yards. If chasing something in the plains like Pronghorn, I'd likely get rid of the insert of front and get back some speed.

Good luck!

Have you shot that through a chrono to get that speed? That seems extremely fast for those specs you gave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And on the skinny shafts…

I honestly think that once you poke a hole larger than the shaft of the arrow and lubricate that shaft with blood, penetration is negligible.

Skinnys will out penetrate a .246 all day long and twice on Sundays in foam, and by a lot. They’ll also cut wind better. But lube those babies up in a hole that’s multiple times larger than the shaft, and I haven’t seen how it matters at all in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

if you are worrying about the weight and size, you should use Recursive crossbows for hunting , and add Broad Head Arrows with it to kill big Animals.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              Thinking about buying a second bow and setting it up for heavy arrows to hunt hogs and possibly elk (or any other big critters I might get a chance at)

So thinking draw weight at 70# or slightly over

27-28" arrows and aiming for 550 or greater overall weight with a higher FOC

What are some suggestions for me to consider to get to that goal?

I thought I found some 250 spine Carbon Express arrows on sale to try yesterday but luckily I noticed the 250 was not the spine before I bought them.
                              pse mamba shafts will get you there with ease

Comment

For elk, I'd get something like the Dangerous Game 250 FMJ's. But I'd be hesitant about sticking very many hogs with expensive arrows and broadheads...For that, I'd get cheaper arrows and weight them with inserts and maybe some trimmer string. Hogs around here can go a long ways into nearly impenetrable thickets with arrows, and sometimes just aren't worth the effort to go try to retrieve the arrow....No need to ask how I know that..
                                Last edited by softpoint; 09-15-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X