Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Been real intrigued by saddle hunting, and have been considering dipping my toes into what it is all about (sitting in a pop-up getting a lil old). I was just wondering if any of y'all (besides the boys in the pines) find them actually useful. Lots of Pecan/Oak trees that I believe I could climb in, but I might be mistaken. So let it fly, enlighten me, share experiences, whatever the GS has to offer.

to piggy back on your questions, how hard is saddle hunting. can an out of shape 40 year old do so safely, easily and comfortably?

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

interested in the responses....

Comment

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Originally posted by RedDogOutdoors View Post
          Been real intrigued by saddle hunting, and have been considering dipping my toes into what it is all about (sitting in a pop-up getting a lil old). I was just wondering if any of y'all (besides the boys in the pines) find them actually useful. Lots of Pecan/Oak trees that I believe I could climb in, but I might be mistaken. So let it fly, enlighten me, share experiences, whatever the GS has to offer.

I have been saddle hunting since at least 2017 (correction… i just pulled my first project up on saddle Hunter… 2015), back when we were all sewing our own saddles. My first 2 were homemade, and I haven’t sat a single sit in my Lone Wolf Assault 2 since at least 2018.

I hunt from the north side of the DFW metroplex up to about Mccalister Oklahoma, as Far East as lake hugo, as far west as Wichita Falls…. There are many more tree options for a saddle in my area than there is a regular stand. If I am elevated, it is in a saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by IkemanTX; 08-23-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
            to piggy back on your questions, how hard is saddle hunting. can an out of shape 40 year old do so safely, easily and comfortably?

Yes. It takes a little time to figure out getting comfortable, and a little practice shooting from a saddle because of how leaning changes your form slightly compared to sitting. If you are currently in good enough shape to climb a tree with sticks or something similar, you are in good enough shape to saddle hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post

Yes, I’m 41.

Comment

Would be hard to do in the panhandle. Most trees here would get you about 3 feet up.

Comment

Also to piggy back, any suggestions on which saddle/equipment to buy for a beginner? Any specific pieces that are a game changer?

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                      Also to piggy back, any suggestions on which saddle/equipment to buy for a beginner? Any specific pieces that are a game changer?
                      I am looking hard at latitude outdoors. Seems like a very simple system, but I am very ignorant on saddle hunting

Comment

I've been hunting out of saddle and nothing else for the past two years. I hunt public land and put in roughly 40-50 days a year. Back before my saddle I was limited to how I could hunt an area because when I found a good spot there was no tree to climb and/or to put a good lock on in. Now when I walk into that same area I have multiple trees to hunt if not almost every tree. Sometimes I hunt 6 feet up and sometimes I hunt 20 feet up. Just depends if I'm in the big woods or the thick crp. Obviously the big woods people can hunt better because of the big oaks to climb. However, those same people could never hunt the thick crp for many reasons such as they may find a decent tree but the stand wont fit in the tree due to all the limbs or the tree is to skinny. With the saddle I can get up in those Branchy trees and have plenty of room and shooting options.

Last year I shot a buck in a certain type of crp that I call chicken trees that are basically 20 foot tall skinny trees pretty close together with not much under growth. I shot a buck at 8 yards only 6 feet off the ground.

I find that you have a better chance of not being spotted because you essentially look like a tree limb coming off the tree rather than a stand sticking out that is abnormal to them. Also when you do have a deer that's circling you or coming in from behind you, in a lock on or a stand you typically have to move a lot to turn and look at the deer. In the saddle you just kind of sway to the side and boom you're on them.

It's the best stand you can have in my opinion and anyone I know that tries it has a hard time going back to anything else. Shooting directions are limitless, you will have way more options to hunt a specific area, deer think your a limb coming off and won't bat an eye at you, it's safe, it's comfortable, easy to walk in with, and its compact.

For the older crowd, I believe you put just as much effort as a climber if not less. I personally don't use the lineman rope, but for those who do I would think it would make setting up the sticks easier.

My suggested set up:

Saddle
                        Muddy Pro Sticks (or anything with the rope lock set up) this makes it easier to hang sticks.
                        Put an aider on the first stick so that you can put the first stick higher (basically acts as having two sticks)
                        Use your platform as the final stick to get you higher.
                        Hunt with suspender type pants so that your back is not exposed while hanging

Comment

Like most techniques, the success of using a saddle depends on your hunting conditions. However, due to the adaptability of saddles over climbers/locks ons, it is a good option for Texas hunters since the geography can vary greatly within the state. If you have decent sized trees it can be a great asset.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post

Plenty of companies make good saddles; tethrd and trophy line probably most popular. Can’t go wrong with either brand. I use a tethrd phantom and predator xl platform. Don’t have any complaints so far. I use 8mm sterling oplux for my lineman’s and tether with kong duck. That was probably best decision switching from 11mm to 8mm, less bulk.

Comment

I'm a saddle hunter. I am 47 years old. I am also a one stick climber.

I don't care what method your using, your putting in the same effort to climb a tree. At the end of the day, your "climbing" the tree. Now then, here are the benefits and there are a bunch.

1. VS a climber, so many more trees to choose from. Now I can actually put my self in cover on a regular basis.

2. Weight. I have literally cut my pack in weight in half. I'm not a minimalist. So I still like to carry stuff. But now my total weight package is like 25 pounds.

3. 360 shooting. In just about every other scenario, your stuck on 1 side of the tree when you see a deer. In a saddle, not only can you walk around the tree to get a better shot, you can hide from the deer.

4. Packability. My stand fits in my backpack!!! Nuff said.

I'm gonna use the same line people used on me when I moved to Texas from California in 06.

I didn't start out saddle hunting, but I got to it as fast as I can!

Comment

Working...
                              X