Cell Cam vs Regular Trail Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell Cam vs Regular Trail Cam

I setup a cheap trail cam I got, on a public land spot. it has a .7 second trigger speed. It got TONS of pics of deer. Even a coyote. The first week I had it set up. I went back to said spot, and setup my cell cam. And haven't received hardly any pics of deer. Where as the day/week prior, I had deer pics on the cheap camera. Has anyone noticed this? Both cams are stealth cam, and have about the same trigger speed. Could it just be coincidence and weather? Or is there a significant difference in how well the SD card camera takes pics, versus the cell cam? I thought to go and setup both cameras to see. But was curious if any have had similar experience?
    Last edited by da_pepper; 11-09-2022, 03:41 PM.

Maybe you left a lot of scent.

Comment

Sensitivity setting difference between the two, maybe?

Who knows. Different model cameras act differently, even from the same manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        Maybe you left a lot of scent.
        Possibly. But I descented both times, same amount. However this is also why I don't want to revisit until its time to hunt. Just in case.
        Last edited by da_pepper; 11-09-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
          Sensitivity setting difference between the two, maybe?

Who knows. Different model cameras act differently, even from the same manufacturer.
          I thought about this too. However I am not sure how to check sensitivity setting. Didn't see anything in the app. But I supposed it could just be a default setting. I am impressed with the pics from the 25$ camera I got at Atwoods.

Comment

Originally posted by da_pepper View Post
            Possibly. But I descented both times, same amount. However this is also why I don't want to revisit until its time to hunt. Just in case.

Not saying it doesn’t work, but I’m 100% certain that deer can smell the active ingredient in scent away type products. I only say this because I have hunted wide open fields on public where I doused myself in scent away prior to entering that field, after dressing with a scent free tote, etc.

The second they hit my access trail, the lead doe about jumped through her rear end and headed back the 300 yds from whence they came.

This particular area sees a lot of human traffic with hikers, and the deer don’t freak out at human scent from hikers as I’ve seen them cross trails.

If you think about it, they encounter human scent all year long, but when do they encounter scent away smells other than hunting season?

Just my observation.

As to your camera, I’d assume it’s the sensitivity setting, but after about 3 days things usually go back to normal whenever I run cameras. I also hang mine 8 ft up, and angle them down. I don’t get as many pics, but I also don’t have any coming up missing either. That along with steel cable from Home Depot + ferrule stops along with combo locks tends to help.

Comment

I’m running 9 cameras and currently getting about 5 deer pics a week where 3 weeks ago was 20-30 a day. Deer move

When I went “cell” this year I didn’t trust MY ability to program it. Lol so I left a browning on same tree as cell for 3 weeks…. Cell had pics browning missed and browning had pics the cell cam missed. Both on same settings

Comment

If cell service is weak the cell camera may not send the picture. If you check SD card against SD card they may have the same pics.

Comment

Public land deer don’t like that fancy equipment they keep it simple

Comment

Yes I’ve noticed it and convinced there is something they are detecting eventhough its supposed to be idle.

I moved the camera back and more animals end up on cell cam. I also have a regular cam looking at the same spot and have switched the cell cam off for a week at a time and the animals come back.

I have also noticed it doesn’t bother hogs and I have also noticed I get more coon faces with the cell cam.

Originally posted by da_pepper View Post
                    I setup a cheap trail cam I got, on a public land spot. it has a .7 second trigger speed. It got TONS of pics of deer. Even a coyote. The first week I had it set up. I went back to said spot, and setup my cell cam. And haven't received hardly any pics of deer. Where as the day/week prior, I had deer pics on the cheap camera. Has anyone noticed this? Both cams are stealth cam, and have about the same trigger speed. Could it just be coincidence and weather? Or is there a significant difference in how well the SD card camera takes pics, versus the cell cam? I thought to go and setup both cameras to see. But was curious if any have had similar experience?
                    Last edited by Johnny44; 11-15-2022, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Great info here. Deer are finally coming back around. I did set up a regular camera too, to compare and see the difference. I do feel like the sensitivity on the SD cam, is better than the cell cam. The camera is pretty inconspicuous, and most of them aren't even looking at it. Have had 1 or 2 maybe. But majority have no idea its there.

Comment

For me only difference in regular cameras ve cell is that with one I am only disappointed every week or so when I check cards, with the other I am disappointed everyday;-).

I did sit an a stand the other day with a cell camera and so 3 bucks, none of which ever went near the camera. No pics does not mean they are not there.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                          For me only difference in regular cameras ve cell is that with one I am only disappointed every week or so when I check cards, with the other I am disappointed everyday;-).

I did sit an a stand the other day with a cell camera and so 3 bucks, none of which ever went near the camera. No pics does not mean they are not there.
                          I have had times where I went to bait. It NEVER caught me. I am 220 lb 6' tall man. Yes 1 hr later it picks up birds. If it didn't catch me, makes me wonder what else its missed??

Comment

I’m moving one cell cam today out of the feeder pen area. I have tested this enough now to be 110% convinced its keeping cervids away.

Comment

Working...
                            X