Legal Rifle Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Rifle Caliber

I looked on TPW website and think I have my answer but want to confirm. Is it legal in Texas to hunt big game (whitetails) with a 223? I didn’t see anything that prohibits it so I think I’m good. Anyone know for sure?

Yes. Center fire cartridge

Comment

Yeah, found where it references “legal firearm” a few times but couldn’t find definition of such, except for what you pointed out.

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        Yes. Center fire cartridge
        Yuuuup , any Centerfire cartridge

.17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet

.17 HMR or .22 Magnum for deer is no bueno, although great for jackrabbits , pigs, and turkey

Comment

I haven’t used it in a while, but I found years back the 65 gn Sierra btsp to be quite effective on white tails here in E. TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I used a Rem .222 for years.

Comment

This is what I'm using this year, except it will be suppressed. All stands are 100 yards or less. I haven't decided if using handloads or 60 grain Hornady Interlocks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by DFWPI; 10-10-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Perfectly legal and perfectly capable of taking whitetail if you use a good bullet and have good shot placement. Started out with a NEF single shot 223. It was a hog and deer killing machine, albeit a slow to reload one

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  Yuuuup , any Centerfire cartridge

.17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet

.17 HMR or .22 Magnum for deer is no bueno, although great for jackrabbits , pigs, and turkey
                  I always thought Centerfire and .22 and up

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup all centerfires. Grand kids been using since seven years old.

Comment

Hand loads!! 65 grain Sierra game king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All of my deer killed with a rifle for the last 10 years has been with a Savage .223 that I bought from TBH Classifieds.

I sure hope they are legal…..

Comment

I bought my daughter a savage.223 when she was seven. I would bet that thing has killed 30 deer between the two of us. She still hunts with it. We have lost a few, but I know people who have lost deer with a 300 win mag.

Comment

I seem to remember that some of the draw hunt have caliber restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
                              I bought my daughter a savage.223 when she was seven. I would bet that thing has killed 30 deer between the two of us. She still hunts with it. We have lost a few, but I know people who have lost deer with a 300 win mag.
                              Even Jordan missed a shot or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X