Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well that didn't pan out. Switched rifles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that didn't pan out. Switched rifles.

I got off of work today and after going to the grocery store, get to the ranch long into the evening. Acorns are dropping and after I park my vehicle I see two big hogs, which turned out to be sows under one of the oak trees out front. These oak trees are in a sea of grass. I have lots of time and they are big, so instead of getting my AR, which I have been shooting a lot at hogs, I pulled out the 300 Magnum. I have time to get set up really well and I am prone, resting the rifle over a log. The bigger of the two hogs starts to move towards another tree, and my time is ticking away. I tell myself don't rush, don't rush, I get belly on the ground, get the hog in the scope, touch the trigger, which I am used to doing with the AR, and BOOM! The 300 goes off, and I shoot about eight feet low of the hog.
    The Shilen trigger on my 300 Win Mag is quite a bit lighter than the stock trigger on the AR (although it's a pretty good trigger) . I'm glad I didn't have sights on a big 10-point buck.

did the result look like this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      did the result look like this ?
      Thats funny.

Comment

It was those hogs luck day.

Comment

I have had that trigger problem before, but think only when at the range shooting multiple different guns. I will be shooting some gun, that takes a while for me to be able to pull the trigger smoothly, because of a long and or heavy trigger. Then after shooting that gun a many times, switch to one of my rifles with a good trigger and the first shot is a bit of a surprise. Then I have to readjust to the light trigger, that I consider normal most of the time.

Comment

Hopefully you didn't get the scope ring of shame above your eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
              Hopefully you didn't get the scope ring of shame above your eye.
              No.

Comment

Not that bad, Blake.

Comment

The last time I went to the range my 300 Win Mag trigger was also way too light and it went off prematurely. I had to increase it for safety. Can't shoot it quite as accurately but it doesn't go off on accident anymore! You might consider making yours a little more challenging to pull.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’ll happen. I try to keep all my hunting rifles around the same pull, don’t have any ar’s so that doesn’t add to the mix any.

It is funny when we have a range day though and someone who has a factory rifle with what they “think” is a light or good trigger, sits down and touches off one of mine…it generally looks like what you described, a surprised look because they weren’t ready for it. Sad thing is I wanna say most of mine are only in the 2# range. Not at all “hair” light to me.

Comment

Man it happens to me all the time. I have a 2stage trigger in one of my thermal Ar’s and a single stage trigger in my other thermal Ar. Sometimes when I’m shooting the single stage gun I have my head up my arse and squeeze through what I think is the first of 2 stages and bammmmm..

Comment

If Im Changing guns at the range, I will usually dry fire the next ones , cause I’ve come to realize that all of my triggers are not tuned the same. Some are def lighter than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                          If Im Changing guns at the range, I will usually dry fire the next ones , cause I’ve come to realize that all of my triggers are not tuned the same. Some are def lighter than others.
                          I definitely need to shoot that 300 a few times to 'get used to it' again before I have a deer in the scope.

Comment

Working...
                          X