Don't sell your old rifles yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't sell your old rifles yet!

So you have a hunting rifle you've used for years, but it's loud. You've done your research and acquired a legal suppressor, but this old rifle is not threaded.. and there is not enough meat on the barrel to get it threaded without severely chopping it, thereby neutering it's ballistic properties.
    Here is a simple solution that if executed correctly can bring back the enjoyment out of shooting these old rifles for a little $

thread job was $80 .. adapter was $15

this is a remington 700 in 243 22" barrel threaded , no recrown , no chopping.
    Rifle was left full length. it slings 95 grain ballistic tips at a tad over 3000ft/s

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFgmIydezE"]Installing a suppressor on a traditional 243 rifle - YouTube[/ame]

Super sweet!

Comment

Very nice..thanks!

Comment

Nice... Tagged for later.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Tag

Comment

taged

Comment

This works fine for small bore stuff but you start getting up to the .30 cals and I wouldn't suggest this. Not enough meat on that 1/2 thread for a .30 cal hole.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Enjoy your videos but no shooting it? C’mon man!

Comment

That’s awesome man

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                      This works fine for small bore stuff but you start getting up to the .30 cals and I wouldn't suggest this. Not enough meat on that 1/2 thread for a .30 cal hole.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                      hum.. ok ! what's the most popular thread pattern for a 9mm handgun? 1/2x28
                      and what caliber is a 9mm projectile ? .355

but don't take my word for it , a quick google search and you'll find out it's been done for years ... some 30 cal even from the factory came 1/2x28.

I recently (as in Saturday) picked up a 30-06 from another member on this forum. Went to swap out the brake and son of a gun the threadz are 1/2x28, NOT 5/8X24. First time I've seen a 30cal brake or barrel with that thread pitch (I have see 5.56 barrels with 5/8" threads). Aside from the slim...

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                        Enjoy your videos but no shooting it? C’mon man!
                        haven't loaded 95 BT in a long time , don't want to blow what i got left ... but I did shoot it on paper after it was threaded and i didn't even have to re-sight it in.. it pretty much hit the bull on the first shot .. and i've shot pigs with it at my 170 yards feeder and dropped them exactly where i aimed ...

i can do a video if you'd like ... the best part is this gun sounds like a 22lr .. with that can , it's really quiet! but camera mics would not give it justice ...

Comment

350 legend .. ruger american , threaded from the factory 1/2x28 ...

Ruger: American Rifle 350 Legend with GoWild I-M Brush Camo Stock for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

Comment

Bore pressure at the muzzle crown is a small percentage of the pressure at the chamber. Maybe only 1/10 as much depending on barrel length. Not nearly enough to split the barrel even if it is smaller than 1/2". Studies have been done on AR15 barrels from 5" out to 20" to determine the effects of different kinds of suppressors being screwed onto these barrels. 2mm holes drilled and plugged at 1" spacing the length of barrels and pressure readings taken at each port. As the bullet moves down the barrel the volume inside the barrel increases and pressure decreases exponentially as the bullet gains speed until it exits the bore. Think about shotgun thin wall barrels and screw in chokes shooting slugs.

Comment

FWIW, my custom 338 WSM has a 1/2x28 threaded brake on it. My heavy loads are probably north of 65,000 psi chamber pressure. Same as a Lazzeroni Galaxy rifle. 26" Ed Shilen barrel. Gun built by Euless Guns and Ammo.
                              This rifle shoots 200gr Nosler silvertips to 3200fps with 72gr of W760 or H414.
                              Probably has near 1000 rounds down it over the last 20 years.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X