Building a walnut/epoxy river table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a walnut/epoxy river table

My wife doesn't know it yet but I'm going to be building her a Walnut/Expoxy river table. I have been building walnut live edge floating shelves that I cut from a slab I bought about a month ago. They're in their melamine forms now and I'll be pouring epoxy soon.

After I cut the forms for them, I saw I had just enough to make another form 49" long and 19" wide with a height of just shy of 1". The height is perfect for the wood that I will resaw on my bandsaw... and the leftover melamine is the exact perfect size as the current table I'll be making the new top for...

More to come...gotta run...

Need pics!

Comment

Cool. Interested in seeing this project.

Comment

Ok got another chance to update, but the GF (general foreman) is laying next to me. Hope she don't look over [emoji16]

Here is the piece of crap in its current state. And I mean this table is ugly. She found it about 6 years ago (prior to being married) on Craigslist, talked me into driving an hour to Hillsboro to pick it up, then loved the "matching" end table and bought them both for $150. My jaw dropped. I tried like hell to talk her out of it. Weren't married and it was her house so I couldn't veto. She wanted "ran ch house," "country chic," and "rustic," and somehow these terds ended up coming home barely fitting in the trunk of a camry. Yes, that was us going up 35 with the TWO tables in the open trunk and bungee cords.

With 0 searching in the dark, here are some imperfections that stuck out.

Bad paint, scratches, gouges, unstained wood filler, some kind of latch system that was painted over rather than removed. Oh and I completely forgot that on one side the trim piece is missing and flush with the side of the table. It was PURCHASED like this. Honestly this feels like a purchase from the school of the blind charity auction.

The least I can do as a kind, caring, compassionate husband is fix my wife's mistakes, right? Or at the very least replace them with the mistakes of my own.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea that’s cobble up ugly

Comment

Forgot to mention I only have scraps left. Scrap melamine, and just enough, which is what inspired me. All walnut is scrap from the slap. It won't have a true river feel, more like a lake, with islands anything is better than what is in the living room now.

Comment

following

Comment

Following. I've got the space finally to start on projects like this, and I've always wanted to do an epoxy table top.

Comment

It'll be my first! Who knows what wood is underneath all that nasty thick paint. My guess it's a mash up of a bunch of different species...the lady who "made it" and sold it for an astronomical amount would take old junked-up pieces, put them together and "refurbish" them.

Comment

Removing bark from one of the last pieces of live edge. Already made a mistake lol. Made the wrong cut on a bigger piece, ripping it in half when I meant to just square up one end. Oh well. I will title this piece The River Lake of Mistakes. Fitting.

Comment

The form and the rest of the melamine.

PRO TIP: I have been getting a lot of things from home depot for 25% to 50% off by simply seeing deformities. I got the melamine for 1/2 off because of the gouge you see here, but I knew I wouldn't need that much and could work around it.

Comment

Adding tyvek tape now. FYI I forgot the mold release on the floating shelves. Another project but a good opportunity to remind myself to apply mold release.

Comment

Going to try to resaw the wood pieces I have left tonight... Mayyyyybe pour. Doubt I can get around to it. I haven't even left work yet. We will see. Wife works tomorrow so it'll be me and the boy, which limits my work time.

Comment

Following. The wife and I plan to do this together in the near future

Comment

Following!

Comment

Working...
                              X