Antler Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Repair

I’ve had this rack for a while & the broken tip on the right G2 has bothered me into doing this fix.
    I did a little research and saw the epoxy compound products available & all the YouTube videos but I also have a small pile of sheds that I could get donor antler from.
    The pics pretty much tell the story but for some reason I didn’t take pics of the holes I drilled into the antlers pieces and inserted a 1.5” segment of a nail. I used Gorilla glue to bond it & let it dry overnight.
    I used a Dremmel to sand down & match diameters. Final touch up with some dark wood stain.
    Could also use some sort of filler in the very narrow gap but was concerned the stain would create a dark line across the repaired cross section.
    Far from a professional job but I’m happy with it
    Thx for looking

Use Apoxie Sculpt to fill the gap and blend to the top and bottom tines. Use a little water to smooth and blend. Use different items i.e., toothpicks, toothbrushes etc. to add texture to match. Then after drying use paint, stain and or dirt to match the colors

APOXIE SCULPT
    Last edited by WildThings; 05-04-2022, 09:13 PM.

Comment

LOL! Bit of a stretch, but if you’re ok with folks thinking thats how he looked then “great work”….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
        LOL! Bit of a stretch, but if you’re ok with folks thinking thats how he looked then “great work”….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the “positive” compliment [emoji1360]

Comment

And they say "he aint getting any bigger" once he's dead. Dont know what he looked like before he got broke off, but I think it turned out pretty good. I would do as Wildthing said and touch it up a tad. Wouldnt have thought about putting a left g2 onto a right g2, but it turned out pretty good.

Comment

Working...
          X