• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold Tips

I’ve shot them for years.

I’ve heard all the bad.

I just ordered a dozen shafts.

Unless I’m crazy all of their shafts used to be a common diameter.

These are smaller.

I check their website. It appears they have several diameters now.

Anyone have any opinions now that they have changed?

I switched to Easton and Black Eagle. No real interest in Gold Tips anymore. Never had an issue with them but I like the other two brands better.

Comment

I’ve seen a lot of negative opinions on Gold Tip, but never actually heard the real concern. If someone knows, please enlighten me.

That being said, been shooting GT arrows for a decade with zero issue that I’m aware of.

Comment

I’ve been please, they fly straight and kill stuff. They will break sometimes but what arrows don’t. I do t cry when I lose or break em. For the price, they work for me.

Comment

I have their smallest diameter arrows and they are killers. Fly true hit hard and usually get more than one kill before they get broke. I will continue to buy them.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with Gold Tips, but I've been told by multiple sources who test regularly that they spine softer than rated, and their spine range is less consistent across a dozen arrows. I don't know that I could shoot the difference in terms of spine inconsistency, but I like keeping tuning confusion at a minimum. So I just don't mess with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post
              I’ve seen a lot of negative opinions on Gold Tip, but never actually heard the real concern. If someone knows, please enlighten me.

That being said, been shooting GT arrows for a decade with zero issue that I’m aware of.

I can tell you why I quit shooting GT! I used to shoot GT XT Hunter shafts. I often had flyers that I couldn’t explain. Back then, I just wrote it off as me screwing up. Then I bought a spine tester. Boy, was that an eye opener. I started putting every shaft on the spine tester, and what I found was that in any given dozen shafts there would be 9-11 good ones, and 1-3 off. Some of those were waaaaaaaaaaay off. I thought that’s just the way it is and started spining and separating into very tight groups. The ones that were way off just got put away in the closet.

Once I started doing this, those flyers nearly disappeared. Some of the bad ones were 100/1000ths off. No way they would shoot right.

Then I got a different brand of shaft given to me. These were all almost exactly the same on the spine tester. So much so, even from dz to dz, that I don’t even bother to spine test them any more.

I don’t know if all GT shafts are that inconsistent, but I know those were, and I never looked back after switching to FMJ’s.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I can tell you why I quit shooting GT! I used to shoot GT XT Hunter shafts. I often had flyers that I couldn’t explain. Back then, I just wrote it off as me screwing up. Then I bought a spine tester. Boy, was that an eye opener. I started putting every shaft on the spine tester, and what I found was that in any given dozen shafts there would be 9-11 good ones, and 1-3 off. Some of those were waaaaaaaaaaay off. I thought that’s just the way it is and started spining and separating into very tight groups. The ones that were way off just got put away in the closet.

Once I started doing this, those flyers nearly disappeared. Some of the bad ones were 100/1000ths off. No way they would shoot right.

Then I got a different brand of shaft given to me. These were all almost exactly the same on the spine tester. So much so, even from dz to dz, that I don’t even bother to spine test them any more.

I don’t know if all GT shafts are that inconsistent, but I know those were, and I never looked back after switching to FMJ’s.

Bisch

That’s really interesting and disappointing to hear.

Now I want to go spine all of my arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

GT were my favorite for many years

Comment

Easton FMJ’s are my go to

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

Its not just Gold Tips, I also have most of my arrows (Easton HEXX) run through a spine tester before building them, and have noticed in the last year or so a different in tolerances. Just my .2 cents.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                        Its not just Gold Tips, I also have most of my arrows (Easton HEXX) run through a spine tester before building them, and have noticed in the last year or so a different in tolerances. Just my .2 cents.

Rwc
                        I've definitely heard it about enough brands that I want a spine tester!

Comment

I reached out to Cody Greenwood @ The Trad Lab to see if he would consider doing studies on which arrow brands/series were most consistent in tolerance and spine.

He responded by saying the work is already underway and reports are being compiled.

Comment

That should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish they made them in 34 " shaft length.

Comment

Working...
                              X