No announcement yet.

Chaparrel Live Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting in tripod in 80 degree weather is about as out of the box as it gets. Should of brought a beach umbrella and swimsuit.

Comment

To all you guys there now......we feel your pain. Last years management hunt it was upper 80's one day, and I was in one of the supplied tripods. My god I was hot......and I work outdoors for a living. Just brutal with that full sun and wind......

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
        This hunt is at 50% remaining.

Clocks running out now.

Get determined and TEST yourself.

The only reasons I'm on my phone at this point is for navigation or taking pics of success.

EXIT SCROLL MODE. ENGAGE KILL MODE!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Guys/ Gals, when Mr. Public speaks , you all better listen- this guy has been there and done that.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee . good luck to all

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
          Sitting in tripod in 80 degree weather is about as out of the box as it gets. Should of brought a beach umbrella and swimsuit.
          Just make sure you brushed in and in shade, if the sun is hitting you then your too exposed.

Comment

Can't believe everyone has not tagged out yet. High Fence hunting is supposed to be a slam dunk. LOL
            Good luck to you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Carta Valley View Post
              Thanks for asking, but unable to post a picture. It's compartment #4, pasture just south of Guajolote Pond. If you cannot reference, no biggy. thanks
              PM sent

Comment

Some of ya'll would have made bad Indians.... LOL

Comment

Chaparrel Live Hunt

Spent last 1 1/2 searching the east end of our pasture in south jay and now I’m soaked in sweat and scratches. Some thick stuff. Found several bedding areas but no deer. Very tough going though this thick brush. Followed tons of trails that all led to some thick stuff, I wonder how deer get through, that led to bedding areas. All these trails went from water to bedding and we have a tripod set to intercept several of those trails. The pastures on the east side tend to be denser than the west and the knee to waist high grass makes the concern for rattlers very real. Went exploring for an hour this morning but every path led me to a dead end of brush that made a racket when trying to get through. We have plenty of deer on every setup just all at night except for a few yearling. Just too much pressure from the 4 previous gun hunts and the heat. Everyone here has been trying all kinds of new sets to find one that works. Hopefully something is brought in tonight

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                    Can't believe everyone has not tagged out yet. High Fence hunting is supposed to be a slam dunk. LOL
                    Good luck to you all!
                    It is, but this is different than a typical high fence place in my opinion.

Not to mention NO year round mega-feeder pens yielding a buffet.

Less than 84 hrs to get the job done, half of that 84 hrs is non legal hunting hours(dark). So 40hrs roughly, of unknown and unseen terrain for most all to scout, set up, and connect/recover.

Assigned Compartments, with boundaries, numerous other hunters and vehicles entering and exiting at will and several other previously held hunts prior, annually. Throw in high temps during December in South Texas.

Even as one of the most premier destination for archery hunters in Texas, the Chap can still be a grind.

Last time I was there a blizzard rolled in and covered the place in ankle deep snow. Deer did not budge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

Last time I was there a blizzard rolled in and covered the place in ankle deep snow. Deer did not budge.

These deer don’t know what snow is and we’re probably too scared to move. LOL

Comment

Getting close to that time, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                          These deer don’t know what snow is and we’re probably too scared to move. LOL
                          Right, we all thought the same thing. No one saw deer in the snow or while it was snowing. More than 50% of the hunters left due to the snow.

Once it melted, it was on.

Comment

Reading this thread is starting to make seriously wonder why I spent 12 years trying to draw a hunt on this place... LOL

Nothing but bad news.. I'll give it hail next week.. Cant kill one on the couch..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              Reading this thread is starting to make seriously wonder why I spent 12 years trying to draw a hunt on this place... LOL

Nothing but bad news.. I'll give it hail next week.. Cant kill one on the couch..
                              Look at their Facebook page and also in the meeting room when you get there, then you’ll remember why. This is as true of a hunt as you can get in Texas. Of course it use to be really hard, they didn’t allow baiting at all on the archery hunts and especially not corn until about 2010 or so if memory serves.it’s a lot easier now.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                                Some of ya'll would have made bad Indians.... LOL
                                An indian would be successful at night.😂

Comment

Working...
                                X