Smoked pulled deer shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked pulled deer shoulder

Front shoulders usually go into the grind pile when I process the animal. I saw this recipe somewhere and decided to give it a try. It turned out great and I will definitely be doing at least one shoulder per deer this way from now on. It was FULL of flavor and there are so many options for serving from street tacos, pulled meat sammiches on Hawaiian buns, venison tortilla soup, venison and dumplings ect ect. We did soft tacos on this one. Treat it like you are cooking a pork butt.

One whole front shoulder
    4 large peppers
    2 white onions
    1 can of chipotle peppers
    1 can of IPA beer

Take the front shoulder and trim the silver skin and cartilage as good as possible, then season fairly heavy on both sides with your favorite BBQ rub. I used a sweet chipotle. Place in the pit directly on the rack at 250 for 2 hours or until it reaches the color that you want. Remove from smoker and place in a foil pan. Add the diced peppers, onions, can of chipotle peppers and a full beer. Have the beer at room temp so you are not pouring ice cold beer into the pan. Cover tightly with foil, crank the pit to 275 and back on for roughly 3-4 hours. Remove from pit when shoulder probes around 205. Let it sit covered for about 30 mins then remove foil to cool for about 10 minutes. Shred the meat just like you do pulled pork, add some more seasoning and mix everything together in the pan.
    Attached Files

That looks solid!

Comment

I want that, looks great.

Comment

Oh man!! Now I’m hungry

Comment

Man that looks good. Im going to try this on the next deer I get

Comment

Got to try this, looks good.

Comment

Looks party darn good!