What is the right thing to do here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the right thing to do here?

I have a very close friend that is somewhat interested in hunting, but extremely frugal. He won't spend the money on it, probably ever. I say somewhat interested because he did purchase the annual public hunting permit to join me on the e post card hunts, and we ended up winning g a squirrel hunt. Now he wants a 22 for the hunt.

He does a lot for me...a shade tree mechanic he has helped me with my vehicles since high school. He has been there to play catch over winter break in college. He helped me build my shed. He helps build computers... he is a true friend. Truth be told, I feel I can never repay him as he is the one I turn to for help. He never asks for anything in return. A true friend in every sense of the word.

That said, I thought about gifting him a 22. He only owns a shotgun for self defense right now. I talked to him about what kind he might want and he really wants the cheapest one he can get. If I got him one, I wouldn't go all out but I would definitely get him something reliable and nice. He deserves it.

My question is, for his first rifle and being an adult, should I buy one for him, or give him $*** in a gift card to go look them up himself and get one that he wants. Another concern is he will wait until the last minute, buy it, and it won't be sighted in. This is 99% guaranteed to happen if I don't buy it for him haha.

What say the green screen?

If he is what you say he is to you and you can afford it, buy him a reliable accurate 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
      If he is what you say he is to you and you can afford it, buy him a reliable accurate 22.
      Agreed

Comment

A friend like that deserves something decent. Find a good .22 and 4X scope and enjoy some time together. Good friends don’t come around often.

Comment

Marlin model 60. Not too expensive and not a piece of junk.

Comment

Agree with the rest. Buy one for him. Will mean more to him that way coming from you.

Comment

I'd buy a nice reliable 22 and gift it. It would mean much more to him in the long run.

Comment

Up until recently, Ruger 10/22s we’re about $200. Gift him one.

Comment

Appreciate the advice. Thats what I was leaning towards. I just didn't want to be pushy or over bearing by it coming off that hey this is your rifle for the hunt versus him getting exactly what he wanted. But at the same time, I know he would end up getting something that could not be accurate, not perform well, then he has a bad taste and doesn't enjoy the outdoors.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounds like you are putting a lot more thought into what gun he'd like than he is. If you buy him a .22, he'll probably be thrilled and won't know the difference between that one and all the others out there.

Comment

There are so many accessories available for the 10/22. I would go that route

Comment

I've got a lot of .22s. They became my favorite gun to shoot when Obama was in office.

I'd get him a bolt action savage with an inexpensive scope. It'll shoot great and last forever. Once the bug hits him he can decide if he'd like something else!

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                          X2
                          Good friends are hard to come by.

Comment

I love my Rossi LR22 cheap, reliable and very available many places for $170
                            Lots of rounds downrange without a single issue

Comment

You sound more frugal than him. If he’s done that much for you then he deserves a good gun.

Get him a nice .22 with a scope. Sight in the gun, and take him hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X