Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 blade on lower poundage bow.

Ok a little backstory:

2 years ago I built a longbow. It turned out nice but was a little under weight. I was shooting for 45# and it came out a little over 40#. I hunted with it anyway that year and ended up killing a few pigs and arrowing a buck in Arkansas through the neck.

After a sleepless night and a long search we found the buck. I had severed the arteries in his neck and he bled out rather quickly. The problem was that he bleed out in a young pine thicket and ran a rather long way in the mean time.

I put up the trad bow for a while... I don't like wounding animals.

THE POINT:

I picked it back up this summer and after shooting all summer feel very comfortable with it. I also have a Satori but it does not feel as natural to shoot.

I have a 535 grain arrow traveling at 160 fps with a 3 blade VPA 200 grain head. I hear all the time on low poundage bows to shoot 2 blade.

With my setup will the 3 blade penetrate well on a mature Texas buck?
    My feeder is at 15 yards from the stand.

Yes, make sure your bh is sharp and you put it in a vital spot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2019 Buck

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Caddo View Post
          Yes, make sure your bh is sharp and you put it in a vital spot!

[emoji457][emoji3514]

Comment

They work just fine.

My old buddy Shorty (RIP) struggled to have a 25" draw, and 40#.
            He use 150gr VPA 3 blade, and they worked great for him.

Rick

Comment

3 blade on lower poundage bow.

Yes, it will work, but I don’t trust it enough to do it. Deer aren’t that tough. Just get them close and hit them in the right spot. You didn’t say in your OP, so I have to ask; did you mean to shoot the other buck in the neck? If so, don’t take that shot anymore on purpose! If not, then it’s just a case of sh** happens, and it’s a great that you were able to recover him. It’s happened to all of us at one point or another.

I am also down to a 43-44# bow to start this season. I am going with my German Kinetic XL, which are a 1.5” wide 2-blade head. But that’s the same heads I was using off my 50# bow also.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Bisch; 09-30-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I’m gonna stick with a 2 blade for now until I feel the need to try a 3 blade.

Comment

Just wait for a quartering away shot so you go in at the ribs and you'll be set even if you don't poke two holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    Yes, it will work, but I don’t trust it enough to do it. Deer aren’t that tough. Just get them close and hit them in the right spot. You didn’t say in your OP, so I have to ask; did you mean to shoot the other buck in the neck? If so, don’t take that shot anymore on purpose! If not, then it’s just a case of sh** happens, and it’s a great that you were able to recover him. It’s happened to all of us at one point or another.

I am also down to a 43-44# bow to start this season. I am going with my German Kinetic XL, which are a 1.5” wide 2-blade head. But that’s the same heads I was using off my 50# bow also.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No sir. I certainly didn’t mean to. There were a few factors at play but mainly I rushed the shot and would’ve missed clean had he not reacted. That shot haunts me and I’m ready for a clean kill to regain confidence that I once had…

Comment

Working...
                    X