Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The War Against Wild Orange (Trifoliate Orange)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The War Against Wild Orange (Trifoliate Orange)

The property is plagued with trifoliate orange aka wild orange. Soil improvements have come leap and bounds and it's time to shift our focus from that to improving natural browse and cleaning up invasives the best we can.

We cannot run a control burn and we cannot get a skid steer in there with a mulcher.

I have roughly 40-50 acres that need to treated. What is the most time efficient way you all have found to manage it? I figured hack and spray maybe the best with a backpack sprayer. To think a couple years ago my old man and I thought we could get in there with chainsaws and machetes to clear it - HAH!

Are there any crews that will come in and help run a hack and squirt? I figured a team could run through it faster hacking and squirting wild orange, yaupon, and honey suckle in one shot. If anyone has contact info for that kind of thing that would be great. Google searches turned up nothing.

This may be a great job opportunity for the local kids after deer season when the weather isn't too hot . I just don't see my old man and I effectively covering that much acreage by ourselves with machetes and backpack sprayers.

Man, when I was growing citrus, I was always looking for wild orange to graft my trees. You might try there. Offer all they want on the small ones, but they gotta cut down some big ones too. 40-50 is a lot, though. Feb is the best month for grafting too.

Comment

Have you considered spraying it from a helicopter or is there a lot of similar trees that you want to keep? Our consulting forester hires a helicopter spray company to spray over the fresh plantings and its not terribly expensive and its super fast.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
        Have you considered spraying it from a helicopter or is there a lot of similar trees that you want to keep? Our consulting forester hires a helicopter spray company to spray over the fresh plantings and its not terribly expensive and its super fast.

Would spraying like that method kill the mature oaks? If not we’d be absolutely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck sir, fighting it in Austin county. Can get it with a dozer here and I wish I could give you advice but it sure seems to get under the oaks.

Comment

I highly sugest not spraying it over the top if you want to keep the overstory. Superior forestry does alot of work for me, just wrapped up some hack and squirt with them actually this week. I'd bet hack and squirt won't be needed though, a good backpack crew will suffice.

For yaupon, good luck as you're likely just going to knock it back for several years. Garlon XRT and a good surfactant such as elite supreme is the trick. Im not sure what the trifoliate or honey suckle will need but I'd look into glyphosate, or call RRSI and they will help you out.

Be ready to pay though, those jobs are by the man hour and it can get expensive, real quick depending on how intensive it is.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info
            Last edited by Easttxbowman; 07-28-2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
              Would spraying like that method kill the mature oaks? If not we’d be absolutely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              That would highly depend on what product was spec'd to spray. I am not that well versed in all of the non broad-spectrum herbicides available so I can't really answer. I can say though that the helicopter guys were very, very precise and I was shocked at how accurate they can spray. So, if your oaks are in certain spots, you spray around them and then selectively spray around them from the ground?

Comment

Why would you kill honeysuckle?
                Thought that was a browse source that deer liked?

Backpack sprayer with remedy (or equivalent) and diesel mix and basal spray

Is it 40-50 acres of scattered tfo or a solid 40-50ac of tfo with scattered oaks and other desirables?

I would think if it is scattered you could knock it out in a couple of weekends with a backpack sprayer

I have sprayed some locust (honey and black) and just go back later and hit the stuff I missed or that is hanging on barely alive

Comment

??

Comment

Working...
                  X