Burn Pile Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn Pile Question

Been clearing my property at the house and everything I'm cutting is green. I normally cut in the fall and burn in the spring at the ranch but don't want piles all over my place here at the house.

How long should I let this stuff sit before I try to burn?

Burn Pile Question

If you can get a big hot fire going with dry stuff and add green stuff to it it will burn, assuming you have some dry to burn too.

Comment

I have heard that green stuff will burn real good after several days because of a build up in gasses inside the plants.

Comment

I don't know where you're at, but here at my house, I've been clearing some under brush and burning it same day. But putting yaupon on a fire is like pouring gas on it!!! It burns real good green!!!
        But like said before, start with some dead stuff and get a good hot fire going. It will burn.

Comment

On the downwind side of your pile, stack up some old wood pallets, dry, seasoned wood and a fire starter log. Then, pour a couple gallons of diesel on/around the pallets. Ignite and let mother nature boost oxygen into the fire and it'll burn all the green wood once hot enough.

Comment

Depends on how much diesel you want to buy.

Comment

I have always cleared and burned the same day.

Comment

TTT
                Any advice on burning brush piles? I have about two dozen I need to burn across the ranch and some look easier than others. I have a couple that are a little to close for comfort to standing living trees. How wet do you let the pasture get before you burn? Couple drizzly days or after a hard rain better?

Is this type of burning something the local VFD would come and supervise for a donation?

All tips appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                  I have heard that green stuff will burn real good after several days because of a build up in gasses inside the plants.
                  We had a bunch of mesquite grubbed and the operator stacked the piles real nice.

A couple of weeks later they lite them off and without working the piles at all they burned down to nothing. I mean zero....not even a stick.

Comment

Just spent the entire afternoon cutting and burning immediately. Used a pile of leaves to get it started and then burned away.

Comment

Cut it up and push it together nice and tight. Diesel in a bug sprayer, about a half gallon, on the up wind side. It will burn!

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                        TTT
                        Any advice on burning brush piles? I have about two dozen I need to burn across the ranch and some look easier than others. I have a couple that are a little to close for comfort to standing living trees. How wet do you let the pasture get before you burn? Couple drizzly days or after a hard rain better?

Is this type of burning something the local VFD would come and supervise for a donation?

All tips appreciated.

We moved up to hill country about a year ago. Burning brush piles up here can be nerve racking as all get out with the high winds, rough terrain and 3’ tall dried grass.
                        I recommend placing a large tarp on one side of the pile to keep an area dry. If your worried about trees nearby, place the trap the side closes to trees. If not, place the trap on the up wind side. Wait for a really good rain(I prefer the a couple days of drizzle with a hard rain or two thrown in) and recommend lighting them around daylight. Check the weather for the next couple of days and make sure the wind is going to pick up over 12-15mph.
                        I remove the trap, hit the dried area with a couple gallons of diesel and fire away.
                        I’m sure every VFD is different, wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like most have said burn same day. I get a fire started with some dry stuff or with a little help. Then I stack green on top as I cut. Keeps the fire form getting too big because I am continually feeding it throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                            This is true. I think it's around day 5 or 6 after they have been cut when that usually happens from what a few old timers have told me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My fires do not discriminate

Comment

Working...
                              X