Driving your UTV to the blind??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of y’all drive up to the blinds and feed with your utv? Did y’all notice different deer activity? I have always driven up and fed from our road feeder on the ranger. I’m just not sure if that’s more detrimental than good. What’s yalls opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t. I want things to seem normal. I’m not there to feed on the day to day so I don’t do it when I hunt. Now if I’m there midday checking feeders or cameras or whatever I may lay down some extra

Comment

My dad used to complain about the neighbor riding his four wheeler to his stand every year and ruining everyone’s hunting. We would walk in super slow.

Now my dad finally has a four wheeler and swears if you drive it that it doesn’t spook the deer that you can practically drive up to them and they don’t care. The same with the tractor.
      Personally I think it depends on your individual situation like how close you are to the bedding area, how spooky the deer are, how easy a path you have in, and what the deer are used to. If they aren’t easily spooked, they probably learn to associate you coming with the ranger to feeder and know what’s there. If you really want to know, sit in your stand and have a buddy come with the ranger and feed and leave. If the deer are there immediately after then they’ve already associated it with dropping feed.

Last edited by jb5001; 10-02-2021, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
        My dad used to complain about the neighbor riding his four wheeler to his stand every year and ruining everyone’s hunting. We would walk in super slow.

Now my dad finally has a four wheeler and swears if you drive it that it doesn’t spook the deer that you can practically drive up to them and they don’t care. The same with the tractor.
        Personally I think it depends on your individual situation like how close you are to the bedding area, how spooky the deer are, how easy a path you have in, and what the deer are used to. If they aren’t easily spooked, they probably learn to associate you coming with the ranger to feeder and know what’s there. If you really want to know, sit in your stand and have a buddy come with the ranger and feed and leave. If the deer are there immediately after then they’ve already associated it with dropping feed.

Nuff said!

Comment

my pickup spooks them much less than the ranger. I always try to drive up to the area and get them used to the scent and throw some corn out if I have it with me. I want them to associate my pickup and ranger with feed wagons. :-) Ain't gonna say it works but my son killed his first bow kill today, a mature 8 point, and he counted 16 deer around our small low fence place. He also missed a turkey when he hit the blind getting set. :-)

Comment

I always throw out hand corn. I try not to drive in close to the stand. I hunt with guys that drove in circles around the feeder throwing corn before their hunts. To each his own I guess.

Comment

IMO… the everyday deer are used to the ATV driving in. The big bucks aren’t used to it or they would be out every time.

Comment

I like to keep a routine. I throw corn everytime I'm around my stands so there is some association.

It's like opening a gate loudly to check cows then trying to do so quietly to hunt. Just open the dang thing! They're used to it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t. I’m in before the neighbors. Been in the stand a bunch of times early and have seen deer walk past the stand ( moonlight ) right after the neighbors drive up to their stands in the dark. They move them my way.

But… the rancher that runs my other neighbors place (some 20k acres) and who lives on the place tells me he kills more mountain lions by my walk than any other places. Makes the walks interesting. Yikes. Makes driving the 300-400 yards to my stand sure does sound appealing.

Comment

Every time we drive up and throw corn by the time I get to the stand there are deer in it already. It does make me wonder if the axis and mature deer notice that too.

Comment

I also had neighbors that would drive up to the stands at daylight feed and always shoot stuff!

Comment

I drive my truck past my bow stand and feed with my tail gate feeder. I park it a couple hundred yards away and usually by the time I walk back to it the deer are allready there.

Comment

the deer don't associate machinery with a threat, but someone sneaking in on foot will spook them every time.
                          the best tactic I have found in the early season is to get dropped off at the stand. if the vehicle doesn't stop, the deer don't even look up.

Comment

I have notice a big increase in pig activity when I walk in. Deer not so much.

Comment

Varies by location. Our place in East TX the best way to get in the stand is to have someone drive you up to the stand and drop you off but if you try that at out place in West TX you won’t see a deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X