To grow or not to grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To grow or not to grow?

I’m leaning towards leave him be. Low fence, kerr county, no protein. Everyone always asks how I shoot “big deer” in the hill country well this is how. The boys want to kill him but I think I’m going to place him on the no kill list because he doesn’t look all that old in my tc pics. I’ve not seen him in person yet but then again I have hardly hunted this particular ranch because I’m always having to work on the darn thing instead of hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kill him!

Comment

He’s plenty mature but if you want to give him a chance then go for it, might surprise you next year if he makes it

Comment

Beautiful deer, regardless! To me, looks like his knees could be worn on the front.... I could see that he may be on the brink of being "mature" however.

Comment

I like the double throat patch. Good looking mature deer

Comment

Misty I would say one more year period - end of discussion. Huge deer.................

Comment

Like to know what “not that old is”. Can’t imagine him being less than 5... likely 6+.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                Like to know what “not that old is”. Can’t imagine him being less than 5... likely 6+.

6 is where I start shooting. This is what I’m getting when I go older than 5:

Comment

Yeah, give him another. I like your philosophy. Interested in hunting the Panhandle?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Yeah, give him another. I like your philosophy. Interested in hunting the Panhandle?

Thank you. Never hunted in the panhandle but I’m sure that’s a totally different experience!

I only adopted that idea after realizing I’ll never likely have enough money to feed protein free choice. And if you go by the “my neighbor will shoot him if I don’t.” You’ll never have a chance at a road. Now that I’ve taken great bucks every year for the last 4 and if I really wanted, could go sit and shoot this particular buck, what’s the harm in letting him go another year if he’s not quite there? By “there” I mean old. Not just mature. Old. That’s when I’ve found they grow all kinds of fun stuff like drop tines , split tines, kickers and stickers. I’m sitting in front of a 140” 8 point right this very minute and am I tempted a little, sure. But, he’s like 4. So imagine what he will be at 6-7-8!!

I do have trouble when they get past 5 though. That’s the point of the thread, is he 5 or 6? If he’s 6 will he push out those last tines and be a GREAT ten? Or will those stay little, or disappear?

Comment

Good on you for passing. A 5 year old is just getting started. When they hit 7 and 8+, it gets really fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                        Good on you for passing. A 5 year old is just getting started. When they hit 7 and 8+, it gets really fun.
                        I agree, most deer peek at 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          This.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                            X2

Comment

Misty, I have a lease with several other TBH'ers that is part of a large ranch of over 77,000 acres that is intensely managed and we don't shoot trophy deer until AT LEAST 7 1/2... Even if your deer is 6, he still has potential to add inches, AND another year to spread those genes... Absolutely nothing wrong with letting a nice buck like that go another year. I'm not too good any longer at aging hill country deer on the hoof, but he looks to be at least 5 and quite possibly 6... I'd let him go at least another year...
                              Oh and that cape is fantastic!! Love me a double throat patch!!

Comment

Working...
                              X