Looking into a FLIR thermal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into a FLIR thermal?

I'm debating getting a FLIR thermal monocular to scan with. The plan is to use my green light for identification and taking a shot. I don't want to be too restricted and definitely don't wanna dive into the $3000 price tags. Opticsplanet.com has the FLIR Scout TK and Marine TK both for $599. Do any of you have experience with either or both? I have none. I'm wanting to use it for hogs primarily. But tree line scanning for deer outside the feeder area would be nice since East Texas deer are typically masters of camouflage.

No knowledge about the FLIR
    Check out the AGM 160, very good entry level hand held scanner for the money

Comment

Don't use Optics Planet...ever. Save yourself the headache.

Comment

DO NOT BUY FLIR. They suck and so does their customer service

Those are not thermals in the $600 price range. Save your money.

I would not spend below $2500 period

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
          No knowledge about the FLIR
          Check out the AGM 160, very good entry level hand held scanner for the money
          I have one of these and even though it is not near what my Rattler is it is a good little scanner. It is not a far off scanner though. I can tell its a pig at about 100yds. I had it out this weekend while it was raining a little heavier than a mist and could still pick up animals. I dont think you can beat it for the price.

Comment

If your interested...

Comment

We have a FLIR ps 32 we bought in 2013. Great little handheld. No issues with it today.
              When new it had a bad battery and was a defect they new about for some units. They replaced it free of charge and in good time. Been using it for hog hunting ever since, some varmint hunting too.

It is not the few hundred dollar unit so that is a consideration.
              Betting lots of guys on here have way more experience with newer thermals for your application though. Just stating our experience with flir has been good.

Comment

If it is new you would be okay for 3 years.
                If it is old - AVOID.
                FLIR is no longer selling to the public. They are trying to roll out and warranty out their commercial products. Once it's you have 3 years warranty. Once 3 year warranty is over they (FLIR) will not even touch it. AGM "may" work on an old FLIR but it is a case by case basis.

Comment

I have an AGM im happy with. I suggest calling Jason at Outdoor Legacy. He will give you honest answers and wont pressure you to buy anything

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                    I have an AGM im happy with. I suggest calling Jason at Outdoor Legacy. He will give you honest answers and wont pressure you to buy anything
                    I second this. He is a great resource.

Comment

I think I spent a little under 2k a few years ago for my Pulsar thermal monocular.

I don't hog hunt. I only use it for scanning while in the tree during the day and scanning as I am walking in/out to know what is or isn't there.

Scanning during the day with the Pulsar has been a game changer for me. I do have vortex binos when I need to make a true identification. But, the thermal just takes the guessing out of the equation. I hunt to relax. I can scan fairly quickly and know if there is something approaching or not.

To me its Pulsar and everyone else when it comes to thermal.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                        I think I spent a little under 2k a few years ago for my Pulsar thermal monocular.

I don't hog hunt. I only use it for scanning while in the tree during the day and scanning as I am walking in/out to know what is or isn't there.

Scanning during the day with the Pulsar has been a game changer for me. I do have vortex binos when I need to make a true identification. But, the thermal just takes the guessing out of the equation. I hunt to relax. I can scan fairly quickly and know if there is something approaching or not.

To me its Pulsar and everyone else when it comes to thermal.

What kind of range do you get scanning in like tall CRP grass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

ihave a flir scout i bought about 7 years ago paid well over 2k and it works great no issues yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtecmike View Post
                            What kind of range do you get scanning in like tall CRP grass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Let me put it this way.

Up 20 feet in a tree looking through very thick canopies and grass, at 150 yards, I can see movement. And like I said, once I identify movement, I can switch to the binos for accurate identification.

2 years ago I was able to take a doe down at 150 yards only because I first seen her on the thermal. The underbrush was very thick where she was and I never would have seen here browsing without it. Needless to say, she made it my freezer shortly after.

Comment

I’ve got a flir ps32 if someone wants to buy it. I’d like 1k for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X